That's Unexpected

Gene POV

I walked into Shannon's place, shutting the door behind me with a sigh. I was absolutely exhausted from both the tour and the flight and wanted nothing more than to fall asleep with my girlfriend in my arms.

"Hey babe I'm home! I got dinner too!" I called.

She shuffled out of her room, wrapped tightly in a bathrobe, and I felt my heart sink. She looked pale, dark circles under her eyes. We had talked on the phone every day while I was in Japan, and she had mentioned lately that she had been feeling sick.

I set down the bag of takeout, putting a hand on her cheek as I gave her a soft kiss.

"How're you feeling?" I asked.

Shaking her head, she leaned against me.

"I'm glad you're home."

"Me too. And hey, just think, in two months construction on our house will finally be finished and we can move in."

"That'll be very nice," she mumbled.

"Here, we'll eat dinner and get to bed. You need some rest."

She nodded, letting go of me with a sigh before sitting at the table. I served up the take out I had gotten, sitting across from her as we began to eat. Neither of us said much, due to both of us being exhausted, until at last we had finished and I began to clear the plates.

I smiled at Shannon, taking her empty plate  and giving her a kiss on the forehead.

"Did you like the food or—"

"I'm pregnant."

I took a step back, plate slipping from my hand and smashing to the floor.

"W-what?" I asked.

She moved her hand to her stomach, giving me an almost defiant look, but her lower lip was quivering, betraying how she felt.

"I'm pregnant," she repeated, voice thick. "We're going to have a baby."

I stood there for a moment, stunned, before sitting beside her and taking her hand, giving it a squeeze and forcing a smile despite being shocked.

"Oh-okay! That's okay! We're having a baby, that-that's okay! Right? Y-you're okay?" I said.

"You always told me you didn't want kids. I know you're not happy about this. 'I'm never getting married and I'm never having kids, it's just not for me,' that's what you always say," she whispered.

I put a hand on her cheek.

"Hey, Shan, look at me," I said gently.

She tore her gaze from the wall behind me, locking eyes with me, beautiful baby blues swimming with tears despite how desperately she tried to blink them away.

"You're right, it wasn't part of my plan to have a kid. But hey, it wasn't part of my plan to pick up a girlfriend at the party where we met, but I did and I couldn't be happier. This is just gonna be a new adventure for the two of us. But it'll work out just fine! We're going to be great parents, I know it. And damnit Shannon there's not a single woman on this planet I'd rather have a baby with than you," I said, giving her a kiss.

"I'm sorry, I know you didn't want this," she said softly.

I held her tight, stroking her hair.

"I want it now though, I do want it! I love you, I'm excited to have a baby with you! Shannon really please believe me, I'm really excited to have a baby with you!" I said, practically begging her to believe me.

There was a pause before she slipped her arms around me, hugging me as tightly as I was hugging her.

"I'm—"

"Going to be a perfect mother who has nothing to apologize for because it's not your fault?" I said, cutting her off before she could say she was sorry.

She let out a weak laugh, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Thanks Gene."

I kissed the top of her head.

"Seriously, Shannon, I'm not angry at you. I love you more than anything, I'll never be angry at you for anything, and certainly not because I got you pregnant."

She nodded, before letting out a sigh, snuggling deeper into my arms.

"I'm just scared is all," she murmured.

"What're you scared of?" I asked, still stroking her hair.

"Of being pregnant for one, of-of giving birth, I'm terrified I'll be a horrible parent, and..."

She fell silent, not saying anything, and I gave her a squeeze.

"And what?"

"And I'm afraid you'll find me unattractive while I'm pregnant and-and you'll leave me," she choked out after a pause.

My heart ached and I shook my head, holding her close against me.

"Leaving you is the last thing I want," I murmured.

"Yeah I bet you said that to all of them didn't you? Cher and Diana and Star and the dozens of other girlfriends you've had?" she snapped bitterly.

"I never felt about any of them the way I feel about you. I'm not going anywhere, I promise, and certainly not now that we have a baby on the way. I love you," I said, giving her a kiss and resting a hand on her stomach, which still felt pretty much completely flat.

She rested a hand on top of mine, smiling softly.

"Love you too."