What's Wrong?

Gene POV

We sat in silence for most of the ride to the hospital, neither of us knowing what to say. It was almost awkward to know we were both hoping it was the other's girlfriend and child in danger rather than our own. It was a horribly selfish thing and I felt awful for even thinking it, but I couldn't deny that I'd rather it be Y/N than Shannon.

"What do you think's wrong?" Eric murmured after a pause.

"I don't know. I don't want to think about it," I said in a sharp voice.

"If Shannon's gone into labor I think your baby would survive, but if it's Y/N ours won't," he said in a soft voice.

"Don't say that," I said, trying to hide how terrified I was.

"Do you think it's a miscarriage? Can you miscarry at six months?" he asked in a dazed voice, as if he didn't even realize what he was saying.

"Would you shut up?! I'm really not trying to picture my kid being dead, damn!" I shouted.

He jumped, snapping out of it.

"I-I'm sorry! I wasn't thinking, I just don't know what's going on," he said, before wrapping his arms around himself, doubling over. "I feel really sick."

I rubbed him on the back, trying to reassure him. He was only a year younger than me, sure, but it was hard not to see him as my kid brother most of the time.

"Hey it's okay. It's gonna be okay, alright? I'm sure that whatever's wrong isn't serious."

"I-I know it's probably worse for you, you've known about your baby for six months, but I really...I really don't want anything to happen to my baby," he whispered.

I sat him up, pulling him into a tight hug.

"Nothing's going to happen to either of our kids, alright? Or to our girlfriends. I promise."

He nodded, burying his face in my shoulder, and as I did my best not to get a mouthful of his curly hair I wondered for a moment how on earth his girlfriend dealt with all his hair.

I didn't let go of him until we reached the hospital, as comforted holding him as he felt being held. I paid the cabbie, heading inside with Eric. I was feeling really sick myself as I walked to the reception desk.

"Um hi was there a woman that was admitted here, either Shannon Tweed or Y/N L/N, do you know what room--"

"When was she admitted?" the receptionist asked. "And for what?"

I blinked, looking at Eric, realizing that neither Eric nor I had asked our manager when he had received the phone call.

"I-I'm not sure, please just let us know her room and--"

"Eric!"

He and I both turned to find Y/N running toward us. The relief on his face was palpable. The terror on mine was sickening.

"Oh thank goodness," he murmured, wrapping her in a tight hug.

"Is...is Shannon okay?" I choked out, feeling myself trembling. "And-and the baby?"

Y/N let go of Eric, taking my hand.

"Here, let's head up to her room, I'll tell you in the elevator," she murmured.

My heart was pounding so much I was surprised my ribs hadn't broken and just let her lead me to the elevator, Eric close behind. We stepped inside, doors closing as she pushed the button for the 5th floor.

"She was saying she had been feeling off when we headed to the restaurant, I suggested we stay in but she insisted. We sat at our table and she said she was going to go to the bathroom to wash her face off and try and feel better but she passed out as soon as she stood up. According to what the doctor said, she's dehydrated, and..."

She paused and my heart somehow found a way to race faster.

"And?! And what?!" I asked, panicked note edging into my voice.

"She's had a few contractions, and they're trying to figure out if it's just the Braxton-Hicks false contractions or if it's...preterm labor," she murmured.

I stumbled back, nearly fainting myself, and Eric grabbed my arm, steadying me.

"It'll be okay," he said. "I'm sure it'll be okay. She's in the hospital, with the doctors and nurses and everything, so it's gonna be fine."

I barely heard him, just moved down the hall to the room Y/N pointed out, the two of them staying in the hall to give us some privacy. Shannon gave me a sheepish smile as I walked in.

"Hi babe," she murmured.

"Shannon! What--are you okay?" I asked, sitting beside her bed and picking up her hand.

"I-I think so. I didn't even realize I had passed out until I woke up to Y/N kneeling beside me on the ground. I don't know if I hit the table as I fell and triggered labor or if it's just the false contractions."

I squeezed her hand.

"It'll be fine. I promise. Why didn't you tell me you were feeling bad? How long have you been feeling like this? And-and dehydrated?! Have you not been drinking water?! Why not?!" I asked, trying and failing to stay calm for her sake.

"I...my morning sickness came back, I haven't been able to keep much down for a week or so. Don't blame yourself for not seeing, I chose to hide it from you," she admitted.

"Why?!" I asked, and she sighed, looking away.

"I was just afraid of being a burden to you. I know you're busy with the band and I didn't want to make you more stressed."

I gave her a kiss, wiping a tear from her cheek.

"You're not a burden to me. You never will be. My gosh Shannon, I want to stress about you and our baby! I want to make sure you're both okay!"

She gave me a sad smile.

"I'm sorry. I know, I just felt bad. It won't happen again, I promise," she said, before wincing, resting her hand on her stomach. "Come on baby, please don't come yet. You're not even 28 weeks yet, not until next week," she whispered.

I gave her another kiss, trying to shove away my fear.

"It'll be okay. I won't let anything happen, I promise," I said.

"I really hope you're right."