<3 - Scared But Smart>

<Wilbur's POV>

I'm practicing my guitar in my room.

God, I missed this thing.

I missed my old clothes, too. The ones we were given were very uncomfortable and ugly.

Of course this peace is disrupted by something.

"NO! GET AWAY!! STAY AWAY FROM ME!!!" I heard from down the hall. I quickly set my guitar aside and stand up. I rush down the hall to see what the problem is.

The room the yelling came from is the guest bedroom. It was actually supposed to be my room, but because me and Techno were constantly separated from each other in the lab, we decided to share our current room instead.

I saw Techno by the door and the kid we 'saved' a couple days ago is standing in the far corner.

"What happened?" I ask Techno.

"I saw the kid had woken up, so I tried to talk to him and he freaked out," Techno explains with a huff.

"Well, you're just shit at talking-" I start.

"WHO'S HURT!? WHAT HAPPENED!?" Dad runs into the room and immediately inspects me and Techno.

"We're fine. The kid is just scared of us," Techno explains.

Phil looks to the corner the kid was in. His panicked expression almost instantly turns into a sympathetic one.

Phil steps towards the boy. "Hey, mate, its alright. We aren't gonn-"

"No! Stay back!!" The kid says.

Jeez. He's acting as if we just killed someone or something.

"We aren't going to get anywhere if he's scared of us like that," Techno states the obvious.

"No shit, Sherlock," I mock and look to Phil. "What if I tried? I'm technically not a hybrid," I quietly suggest.

"Could work. But be gentle," Phil steps back.

I move forward a couple steps and start talking to him.

"It's alright. You don't have to be afraid of us. You can trust us." I attempt to calm him down.

"Trust you?! Why should I?! I don't know you! A- and you killed her..." He quiets down towards the end and starts to tear up.

"Eh, she deserved it," Techno states before I elbow him in the arm. His comments makes the child mad, but he's too scared to say anything.

"Let's wait outside, Tech," Phil takes Techno to the hallway, closing the door behind them.

I look back to the kid still in the corner. "Don't mind him. He's a dick sometimes. What's your name?" I take a step closer as if it were a hostage situation.

".....Tommy" He just barely audibly mumbles.

"Well, Tommy, I'm Wilbur. I'm human like you, so you don't have to be afraid, okay?" I take another step.

"No. No! Stay there! You could be lying! Show- show me your ears!" Tommy exclaims the odd request.

I stop and do as he says, showing my round human ears.

"Turn around. Do a spin!" Tommy orders again.

I again follow his odd orders and spin around once. "See? I'm human," I reassure.

"Just because your not like them doesn't mean you won't hurt me!" He says in a voice with faltering confidence.

He's a smart kid. Not trusting strangers and everything.

"Okay! Okay. I'll stay here. I'll even sit down. We can talk like this. Does that sound okay?" I ask.

He nods and sits down as well in the corner he refuses to move from.

"How old are you?" I start.

"..eight..." he relaxes a bit, but not much, "..What 'bout you?" He asks back.

I'm surprised he asked something. That's a good sign, though. What isn't good is that he tenses up again after seeing my reaction.

"Fourteen, me and the pink-haired kid are the same age. His name is Technoblade," I answer in a friendly manner.

He nods slightly.

"Sorry to ask but, do you have any other family?"

He stares at me for a few seconds before looking away. Tommy shakes his head 'no' and says, "Not that I know anyway..."

He looks like he's debating something in his head. "You can ask questions, too. You know, right?" I say.

With that he asks, most likely, the question he was thinking of asking, "Why- why did you kill her? My m-mom," He stutters, again trying to hide his fear and sadness.

I'm taken back by the question, but I have to answer in some way that wouldn't break the small amount of trust I have with the kid.

"She, uh," I sigh, "If I told you now, you wouldn't understand or probably even believe me."

I expect him to say something like 'You killed her!' or 'I can understand!', but he stays silent.

He brings one of his hands up to his head and looks really bothered.

"You alright? Does your head hurt?" I ask with concern in my voice.

He looks at me and nods slowly and reluctantly before looking away again.

"Do you want some medicine? It should help you feel better," I stand up from the floor, but stay in my place.

He shakes his head 'no' and sticks his tongue out.

"It's kids' stuff, so it should be flavored," I smile.

The kid perks up at this, "What flavor?"

"Grape."

"Yeah... no, thanks," He declines instantly.

°:•¤•:°