Chapter 3: The School

Percy POV

"Mom," I said excitedly as I went in for a hug. 

My beautiful mother happily embraced me as I entered my home. This was my parents' home in New York. Technically, my actual home was in Los Angeles. 

"Oh my god, honey, it's so good to see you again. I missed you so much," my mom said happily. She had tears of joy streaming down her face. 

"Mom, I'll be here for a whole year," I exclaimed. 

My mom immediately stepped back to look at my face. "Wait, Percy, are you serious? You're not pranking me, are you?" she asked in shock. 

I nodded my head before smelling the baked cookies coming from the kitchen. Of course, my mom would make blue cookies for me. I loved my mom's baking. 

"Oh, I'm so happy, Percy," she said as she hugged me again. 

"Yeah, me too. I finally get a break from all the craziness, mom. I can't wait to relax. However, Chiron's making me go back to school," I complained. 

I wasn't on board with the whole school thing. While I liked the notion of reuniting with my friends and living a normal teenage life, I knew that people would treat me differently. I had fans all around the world. It's weird how fame made them treat you like you were different and special all of a sudden. 

"Actually Percy, that was my request," she said sternly. 

I simply gazed at her in shock. She smiled as she walked towards the kitchen. I followed her to the chocolate chip cookies. 

Our home was fairly big due to my earnings over the past two and a half years and counting. Much of my profits went to my parents since I was a minor until recently. 

"What do you mean, mom?" I asked. 

My mom put on her mitts and took a tray out of the oven. Unsurprisingly, blue cookies were simmering to the heat, and I immediately went to grab one. 

She immediately slapped my hand. 

"You have to wait for them to cool, Percy," she chuckled. "You are such a grown man, who still turns into a little kid in the presence of sweets." 

"Mom, it's been ages since I had one of your cookies," I whined. 

"Yes, so five more minutes won't do any harm. Anyway, I wanted you to graduate from high school in person. This will give you something to do over the year. Plus, this will be good for you, Percy, trust me," my mother explained.

I sighed before smiling again. 

Considering everything I put her through while pursuing my dreams, I figured that this was the least that I could do. 

"Oh yeah, mom, where's Paul?" I asked. 

Paul was my step-dad for several years now. He was a very nice guy and way better than my old step-dad, Gabe, who we don't talk about. 

"He's at work, honey. To be honest, he doesn't know that you're coming home. I didn't tell him because it should be a surprise, right?" 

"Sure thing," I said excitedly. 

After a while, I went upstairs to my old room. It was exactly as I remembered it: blue walls and bed. The desk and dresser were clean, so it was obvious that my mom fixed the room up. My bedroom was never this tidy. 

My eyes caught on three framed pictures on my desk. 

One picture captured me, mom, and Paul on my 12th birthday. Another picture was a selfie with me and all of my old friends: we were so happy.