Chapter 8: The Breakup

Annabeth POV

Things settled down in the weeks to come. People at school got used to Percy's presence (for the most part). Of course, girls still showed a lot of attention towards him, much to my despise. 

Percy was very kind and funny. 

I realized that I missed him a lot in the past few years. 

It bothered me every time he'd interact with all of his girl fans, who clearly just wanted to get with him. But, I didn't know why. It shouldn't bother me to see Percy with other girls, but it did. 

"Hey, Percy," a cheerleader greeted as she came to our table. 

We were all sitting outside and enjoying lunch. It was slightly chilly today, but it was still manageable to be outside with sweatshirts. 

"Hello, Hylla, what's going on?" Percy asked politely. 

It still surprised me how bright and positive Percy could be with his fans. I mean, many of them simply bothered him with the constant attention. Regardless, Percy was cheerful and respectful. 

"Well, there's a party at my home on Saturday; it's Reyna's birthday and she's a huge fan. I mean, we all are," Lindsey said. Her cheeks were rosy with lust.

"Um, all of your friends can join too," she added. "Practically the whole school is coming anyway." 

"We'll be there," Leo exclaimed excitedly. 

Hylla's gaze fell back on Percy as she smiled. Percy simply nodded in agreement before smiling back. I noticed that his sea-green eyes sparkled when he smiled. It actually made him very attractive. 

I shook my head to knock out my weird thoughts. 

"Well, I'm quite excited about the party," Hazel said. "I don't get invited that much. Perks of having a pop star friend."

Percy chuckled as we all sighed. To be honest, our friend group was composed of diverse characters and different social statuses. However, I believed that our diversity made us such good friends.

"So, who's birthday is it?" Percy asked. 

It made sense that Percy wouldn't know Hylla and her family. Reyna and Hylla Arellano were sisters at Goode Academy. They were quite nice, but their family was beyond richer than most of the people here. 

Technically, only Rachel, Jason, and Thalia compared in terms of wealth with the Arellano family. Even Percy (who was a self-made multimillionaire) wasn't as close. 

"Reyna Arellano," Jason answered. "She's a senior that goes to our school. She's turning eighteen this year and will become a part of the family business." 

"Oh, okay. Wait, is this the Reyna that you used to-"

Percy faltered off as his gaze fell on Piper. This was a little awkward considering Piper was Jason's current girlfriend. However, I knew that Reyna and Jason had both mutually moved on. Thye were just friends now. 

"Yeah. she is a huge fan of you (not in a weird way though), so it makes sense Hylla would ask you to come," Jason said. 

"Maybe, you could perform at her mansion," I suggested. 

Percy's eyes locked onto mine as he smiled. "I was thinking the same thing. I love performing and if it will make her birthday special, then why not." 

I knew that Percy would think like this. Generosity and selflessness were some of his best qualities. 

The conversation shifted to other topics after that. The whole school was buzzing with news about the Arellano party. Pretty soon, people started talking about Percy's willingness to perform even though he didn't admit to anything.