Chapter 5: The Crazy Fan

Percy POV

I realized two things very quickly from my first day of school.

One, it took me forever to get to different places. While I understood how fans could be, I didn't realize that I'd be this swarmed, especially considering a few years ago, most of the students didn't give a damn about me.

Now, I was the hot commodity, and it wasn't as fun as you might think.

Everyone wanted to interact with me. I appreciated the fans that loved my music, but some of them wanted more than that. They were attracted to fame, money, and success.

Second, Annabeth pretty much hated me.

It was so frustrating how she wouldn't even talk to me. She acted like her life would be better off without me in it. Of course, I was to blame for this.

I stared out of my window as we drove through my hometown. Much of the small city hasn't even changed. I sighed in satisfaction as memories washed over me.

"So, how was school, Mr. Jackson?" my head security agent asked.

"Yeah, it was interesting, but it was nice to see all of my friends again. I missed them a lot," I responded honestly.

Terminus nodded as he smiled reassuringly.

"I'm sure that all of the hype will settle down, Percy. Then, you'll really be able to relax. I've seen how busy you've been over the past two years. You barely had time to rest, so this is a good thing for you, sir," Terminus said firmly.

I completely agreed. I was so exhausted, but I wasn't able to ask for a break. I didn't realize that I was allowed to.

Regardless, when I got this news, I was beyond ecstatic.

"Hey, Terminus, you're married, correct?" I asked.

He seemed surprised by the question but answered, "Yes, since I'll be staying here for at least a year, my wife will move here for some time."

"That's awesome. You must miss her," I said firmly.

Terminus simply nodded. I made sure that Chiron gave my staff adequate time off. While I was forced to always be busy (away from family and friends), they didn't have to be.

"Terminus, how do you get a girl to not hate you?" I asked suddenly.

"Excuse me, sir?"

I turned towards him and turned the radio off. It was a weird question to ask my security guard, but whatever. I was a little desperate.

"One of my old, um, friends won't talk to me. I mean, sure, I was an asshole towards her after I got famous, but I had my reasons," I explained.

"Percy, the best solution in relationships is being honest," Terminus replied as he parked into our driveway.

I groaned as I got out of the car. I hated that answer.

I couldn't exactly be honest with Annabeth. I couldn't just admit that I had fallen in love with her (my girl best friend) 3 years ago and suppressed my feelings. I couldn't admit that I ignored her after getting famous to shake my feelings away.

Yet, I owed her so much. So many of my original songs came because of my feelings towards her. I told everyone (my fans, bosses, interviewers, etc.) that Arcade was just a song that I wrote without anyone in mind. That was a lie.

Arcade was about Annabeth, and it catapulted me into stardom. I couldn't admit my past feelings for her, and I didn't know how to adequately thank her either.