Chapter 9: The Guitar

Percy POV

"Seaweed Brain, I was wondering if you'd be willing to, um," Annabeth faltered off. She seemed hesitant to ask me something. 

"What's up, Wise Girl? You can ask me anything," I said firmly. 

Terminus was driving both of us back to my home. A few of the others were also meeting me at my house to hang out today. My security didn't like having people over to my home, but I trusted all of my friends. 

"Thalia said that you recorded a new song about the Stolls," Annabeth expressed.

"I wouldn't say that it's about them, but it was inspired by their close friendship even though they're brothers," I said. 

"Yeah, I was wondering if I could hear it. Thalia said it was really good," Annabeth said cautiously. 

For some reason, she was awkward w3ith me today: a little more restrained. She was careful in the things that she was saying and how she was interacting with me. 

"Annabeth, is everything all right? " I asked quietly. 

She immediately turned towards me in surprise. "What do you mean, Seaweed Brain? Of course, I'm completely fine." 

"You seem different today with me," I said. 

Her gaze intensified as she looked away. Her finger fidgeted with the owl bracelet on her wrist. She always did that when she was nervous. 

"I'm fine, Seaweed Brain. Can I listen to the song?" she asked with a small smile. 

"Yeah, absolutely," I said firmly. Then, I reached forward and held her hand gently. My thumb reassuringly rubbed her soft skin. "Annabeth, you'll tell me if something's bothering you, right?" 

She looked at our connected hands but didn't pull away. 

"Yes, Percy, but I can assure you that we're fine."

Then, Annabeth turned away from me again and retracted her hand as well. Things didn't feel fine to me. She was definitely thinking about something regarding me, but I decided not to push her for information. 

The rest of the car ride was too quiet. 

By the time we arrived home, my hand was still feeling empty. It was tingling with the sensations of Annabeth's hand even though she pulled away from me minutes ago. 

Annabeth and I walked into my home together. I could tell by the way she walked freely that she's been to this house before. Technically, I bought this house for my family a year ago, and since Annabeth and I weren't really friends, I didn't know how she'd been here. 

However, as soon as I went inside, I knew. 

My mom immediately came and embraced Annabeth. "Hi Sally, it's so good to see you again," Annabeth said happily. 

"Same to you, Annabeth. I'm glad that you and my son are friends again. I remember how distraught he was after telling me that you wouldn't talk to him," my mom said. 

"MOM," I exclaimed as my cheeks reddened.

Annabeth chuckled as I led her away before my mom could say anything else that would embarrass me. We walked downstairs to the basement. 

I had set up a private recording studio in my home.

A bunch of instruments was positioned along the borders of the studio room. The sound equipment was on a table facing the vocal booth. The vocal booth was larger because it had room for the main singer(s) as well as any backup vocalists and instrumentalists.