Chapter 18: The Storm

Annabeth POV

The rumbling thunder kept interrupting Apollo's lecture. It was annoying our teacher to the point where he threw chalk at the wall in frustration. Then, he said that we could have free time for the rest of class.

"Wow, guys, that storm came out of nowhere," Jason commented.

"Agreed," I said firmly.

Another boom exploded outside. A white flash illuminated the room for a second before vanishing. A girl screamed in shock.

Everyone realized that we were in the middle of a violent storm. A lot of us would probably have to spend extra time at school so that we didn't drive in the pouring rain. As I looked out the window, I noticed that visibility was pretty low.

"Oh, Annabeth and Jason," Piper started. She looked nervous as she gazed at us. "Um, I hung out at Percy's house a few days ago. I didn't tell ya'll yet."

"What do you mean?" Jason blurted out.

"Oh my god, babe, not like that. Gosh, my sister and her boyfriend took me with them to chill at Percy's house on Saturday," Piper explained.

"I wasn't thinking like that, Pipes. I know that you'd never cheat," Jason paused. "And, Percy's too good and loyal to do that to me."

His voice silenced as he talked about Percy. Clearly, Jason missed his best friend. However, according to Jason, Percy had changed. Apparently, Percy was in the wrong now.

Of course, I wasn't so sure about that now.

"Did you have a fun time?" I asked neutrally.

I felt bad about sending Percy away from my house, especially since he was going through a lot of unclear problems. I just needed to think.

"Actually, yeah. It was a good time. I just felt so guilty about not telling you guys," Piper breathed in relief. "I know that neither of you are liking Percy right now."

"It's fine, Piper. If you want to be friends with him, it's fine," I said quietly.

Honestly, I wanted Percy to have support right now. I didn't want me to be the reason that Percy was alone.

"That applies to you too, Jason," I affirmed.

"I can't be with someone, who's different after achieving success, fame, and money. That's not the Percy that I want to associate with," Jason stated. His tone was strained and tense.

Piper decided to speak up from the opposite standpoint.

"Jason, I'm always on your side and Annabeth's side too. However, I think that something else is going on. I think that Percy's trying to do the right thing," Piper expressed.

"How, Piper? How is he doing the right thing by being a complete jerk?" Jason stated in frustration.

A tense silence followed as Piper sighed. She didn't have an answer. At this point, I didn't have an answer either, but I was going to get answers.

Hazel awkwardly managed to shift the conversation to school and homework. To be honest, I forgot that Hazel and Leo were here since they stayed out of our conversation.

Thunder continued to rumble outside as rain rattled the windows. Yup, we definetly had to wait for the rain to settle before leaving.

Finally, the bell rang marking the end of school.

We walked into the hallway and immediately noticed the mess a few yards away. Loose papers were scattered on the floor next to the trash can.

Considering it was in our way, Hazel and I decided to pick them up and throw them away properly. There was nothing wrong with keeping our school clean.