Stranger In The Night. CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

As I'm walking back to my aunt and uncle's home my adrenaline rush has not dissolved one bit. Since the moment Perry kissed me, my senses have been temporarily heightened. I don't want this to go away, I don't want him to leave. It feels like I am breathing and my heart is beating as if it wasn't before. Although I've been unable to settle in with my new life I feel more myself than ever.

While we stroll, I don't rush anymore finding myself more comfortable now that we aren't squeezing through a large crowd. The late night sky is crystal clear, shining stars down upon us. They glisten, giving us this beautiful haze upon our skin in the darkness. Knowing the streets of town are going to be busy for a while, I pay no attention to a figure behind us.

It doesn't take too long before my family's home is in eyesight and little Jarin runs ahead with excitement, "Look, its our house!"

Only houses away, he skips forward unaware that I'm focused on a figure behind us. I hear them stop in the street, making me wonder if they are watching us. Straightaway I'm reminded of the cloaked person who kept watching me before. I recall it happening a few times here in Province and believe it could be the same person. When I glance back I see eyes on us but this time they're not hiding their face or body shape. It's a man wearing everyday clothes, no secretive coverings.

I stop Koda and Jane casually, "Don't look but there's a man watching us."

My sister's face goes blank and then Koda pushes Estelle ahead of him. He whispers in Jane's ear, "If I signal you to, lock the doors inside."

The three of us, plus Perry wait until everyone is on the front porch or close enough before we send Koda in the man's direction. I stand on the lawn with Perry, close enough to the steps if I need to make a run for it. Behind me the girls behind me are told to go inside by my uncle but they refuse, curious to the manner. Luke is as well but holding himself with such a stance that tells me he's preparing to back up Koda at any moment.

When my brother is almost face to face with the man he starts, "Are we going to have a problem?" His firm words are nothing I'd expect, even for a confrontation that is a bit too bold.

From yards away the man gestures towards our front porch, "Is this your home?"

Koda doesn't answer, "Why are you following my family?"

"I'm not following your family, I'm looking for my daughter."

Koda looks over his shoulder as if he's seen a ghost, he's put something together in his mind but I don't know what, "Your daughter is not here." His coldness shakes me to the bone.

I step back, feeling as though we are in danger but I bump straight into Perry.

"I've kept a close eye out, and I know she is with you."

My brother gets in the mans face, "Estelle is not your daughter."

How does he know the man is talking about Estelle?

"I know my Estelle when I see her."

Suddenly the two girls on the front stoop of the house start arguing to each other, "It can't be him."

"It must be, Estelle." Lynn replies with a hushed voice.

"Come here Estelle!" The man shouts almost monotonely, no expression or excitement whatsoever.

Estelle whispers to Lynn so the man can't hear her, "I thought he was dead! Why would I like to see him after he abandoned my family and I?"

Should she give him the benefit of the doubt?

"I'd like to talk to you."

"Go talk to him." Lynn gives her friend a forceful shove.

Estelle cautiously makes her way down the front steps, her lips pursed and eyebrows raised. Her stiff expression catches me off guard, wondering why she could be so hesitant. She tiptoes onto the sidewalk but stops beside Perry on the grass, apparently deciding she's not going any further. My uncle comes down to stand between us and the stranger while Luke stays on the porch with Lynn who holds the screen door open.