Narrator: Part Eight And A Half

Didn't expect to see me here, did you? I am overriding the next chapter to bring in what could be Estelle's last moments outside of capture. Or will she escape? It's time to look at the other side of the story.

Koda's Pov:

My mind is racing, knowing I have to create a plan to trick sweet and innocent Estelle. I force our memories together out of my head, suppressing my feelings. Logically this will make the majority safe, and no lives should be lost, but it doesn't make this any easier for me. My family won't be killed and Estelle's father will get what he wants. It's truly only a loss for Estelle.

When she was a child he left their family out of the blue, never to return to Earth. Of course, I know he got involved with some shady shit, how could he not if he has ties to the Hunters. In the back of my mind, I have a hunch she'd be brought back to the cult, but I know for a fact they aren't intending to kill her, they can't kill anybody yet. Estelle will have to deal with being in captivity again, she's strong, she's done it before so she can handle it again.

Putting this off is not an option today, so I make a quick decision about how I should get alone with her outside of the house. The best option is asking her to come on an outing with me, considering she has had the deepest crush on me. It developed since the moment she saw me, first finding me attractive.

Initially, I was not interested or slightly curious, after all, I know everyone's little secrets. I know what they are going to do or say before it happens. But, the night at the festival changed that for me. I don't know if it was seeing her eyes light up with happiness for the first time knowing I caused that, or the thrill of the rides we went on. I almost put my arm around her, I was so close until Luke interrupted and sat with us.

That night Estelle and I sat and watched fireworks together on the cliff, her eyes sparkled in the bright flashes. We talked about our childhoods, memories, and bad times; the conversation was deep, but she never mentioned how her mother died. Either way, that night is so easily considered the best day of her life, according to her.

Afterward, I was debating on asking her on a date but decided against it. I have enough on my plate as it is, even a close friendship is too much for me. It is better for us in the long run to not deepen the feelings. Besides, leading her on is not what I'd like to do, although today I am breaking that rule. Today is going to be different, I'm going to take care of her until the last second. Every type of relationship I have I ruined anyway, so I have to make this good or I'll never forgive myself.

Last night I was set on immediately handing her off to her father. It would have been the easiest way to do it but after overhearing her cries in her sleep this morning I changed my mind. It seems like that's something I do with her a lot, and this morning was nothing different.

The haunting story about the death of her mother made me empathize with her: but she didn't know. I just listened quietly, understanding how truly awful her life has been all of these years. If I could bring her away from the harsh reality of life for a few hours I will. Maybe this time together will be beneficial to her mental state in the near future. I hate being the person to have to take this away from her, but I have to try to give her some hope.

I catch Estelle by surprise in the hallway and stop her; there's no turning back, it's now or never. She blinks back at me doe-eyed. Her nervous thoughts make me giddy as well but I try to play it off cool, "Hey, can I ask you something."

She doesn't suspect a thing, "Sure."

"I've been thinking about this morning a lot and I was wondering if we could go out to talk? Alone?" Instantly her mind is racing. "There's this nice calming spot by the beach, I'd like to take you there."