A Rabbit And A Castle Assistant. CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

As the redwood forest succumbs to the night, an unsettling wave lands upon us and time passes slower than ever. Perry ran with me in his arms until the other two couldn't keep up with him any longer. To him, his speed was only a jog, yet the others said it was anything but that.

Though after drinking that chupacabra's blood I'm not surprised, he of course is on some sort of power high with endless energy. I almost bet he could run the rest of the way to Dibbley and wouldn't be fatigued.

When he's finally convinced that the chupacabras aren't following us anymore he places me down so I can walk on my own, "Will you be alright?"

My injury is still in the healing process where it can get irritated after a period of time, "Yes, I'll be fine."

It feels like we've spent hours upon hours hiking but that's just because of my paranoia, "Is it always this dark in here?"

My warmed body is starting to get used to Perry not holding me against him anymore. The tingles his bare skin give me have subsided but a small pulse is still felt in my body.

Out of no where goosebumps start going up my arm. I feel uncomfortable like I'm being watched in the dark.

"Yes, that's one of the reasons why the vampires decided to settle here. Lots of coverage from the sun in case of any foreign attack. We also try to coexist with the chupacabras, who end up after our enemies if they try to plan any fights. We can't control them but can kill them quickly if we need. Non-vampires don't usually have that option. Secondly, the forest has few ground plants, which make it difficult for witches to defend themselves."

I'm not fully understanding these reasonings so I state, "I don't know anything about witches."

"Us vampires don't get along with plant-wielding witches, and they should not be found on our public or private land. They like to use plants to defend themselves, so traveling through this forest is unlikely. I'm sure the more powerful witches can use the vines above, but they have to be very strong sorcerers."

I nod, enjoying the distraction of our small talk, "Does this place give vampires the option to go outside during the day in Dibbley?"

"Depending on where you are in Dibbley, sure. The surrounding area is all forest, including homes in the country, but our main street in front of the Donnan Castle has no coverage at all."

The four of us end up on the outskirts of Dibbley, easily finding homes, farmer's markets, and small local businesses in the forest. We begin to pass by vampires who emerge from their slumbers, ready to start their days and run errands. They all eye our group strangely, but I don't dare ask Perry why.

Soon enough the path takes us away from the settlement in the woods and once again we find ourselves alone. We come across a fork in the road and instantly Perry knows where we are, "I've briefly gone into the countryside before, if you turn left it will take you to the castle from the side. If you go right you end up having to go through the whole main street."

Leddy growls, "Don't tell me where I'm going."

This time I'm fed up with her not taking anyone seriously, including Perry, "Listen, you're not here to show us how to get to Dibbley or to boss us around. You're here to protect us, but clearly, Perry handled that chupacabra fine without your help."

My anger causes anxiety to build up inside of me and I can't stare Leddy in the face like I should. My cowering worsens as she grumbles more.

"Maybe I should've let those other two chupacabras eat you!"

I gasp, realizing her narcissistic behaviors include not caring if someone dies or not. Let's be real here, this whole time saving my family she didn't once sigh of relief that we all survived.