Chupacabras. CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

As a setting star goes down in our elegant cotton candy-colored sky, Abe and Leddy take a stance on the front porch of my family's home. My eyes get caught up above in the clouds, silently thanking the universe that something is going my way for once. It feels so positively surreal living these past few days. Every day there's something breathtaking in the sky; colors, clouds, moons, stars, and beauty.

Standing on the porch and staring at the siblings like I've seen a ghost, I'm unsure what to say. A matter of seconds go by of me staring until Koda comes up from behind and asks how it went. They respond quickly by saying they're not allowed to tell just yet but hint at the fact that the Councils and Elders are getting involved.

Koda doesn't question anything more, only replying as if he already knew the answer. He'd been talking about them to Lynn since they'd left. And for some reason, I'm confused why he doesn't pester them for more information.

Even though my brother interrupted me from asking the twins to escort Perry and I to Dibbley, I'm not too upset realizing that I has no plan on what to ask them anyway. I spin around to hint to Koda but before I can part my lips he's starting that conversation for me, "Ellie is planning to bring Perry back to his home kingdom to be freed-"

Leddy cuts him off, "Oh good, that fanged creature needs to get out of here before he gets thirsty for one of you."

I'm taken aback instantly, feeling sick at her disrespectful words. Of course, Leddy has to disturb our well beings with any chance she can get.

"Shut up, Leddy," Abe smacks her shoulder and then gestures towards my brother, "What were you saying Koda?"

My brother discusses the issue at hand that I would leave whether it was safe or not and how the family doesn't want us to go without someone to protect us. He just doesn't know the part where it's more dangerous if Perry stays here with me, and that the risk of walking to Dibbley is nothing compared to what I'm facing alone. Little does everyone know vampire territory sounds safer than Earth, our non-magical planet.

Before our family friends can even enter our home they're agreeing to safely escort Perry and I to his home kingdom. Easily, they cut to the chase and tell us tonight is our only option and we should leave immediately. I'd been so set on leaving since yesterday morning that my things have been packed and placed beside the front door, which I'd clumsily tripped over when I'd rushed to address Abe and Leddy on the porch. So, our quick greeting has instantly turned into a goodbye within a matter of minutes as I'm rushing inside to get Perry and my bag in the entryway.

The rest of my family gathers around, causing background arguments, sad tears, and waving hands. Jane tries preventing me from leaving, becoming physically emotional with grief. Our uncle holds her back but she tries fighting against him, "Please, Ellie! Don't leave!"

She gasps trying not to succumb to the pooling tears in her eyes. I look away, feeling more than just guilty. As she cries I hop down onto the sidewalk, "Let me come with you, please!"

I don't turn back to the house, or look at my family gathered on the front lawn, though I know many of them run down the front steps. I imagine the expressions on their faces, saddening, disbelief, anger, and fear. They shouldn't have to go through this, but I let it happen.

Our surveillants jump right to our task heald for them and before I know it we've already made our way out of the city, the opposite direction of the sea. I follow Leddy, the head of the group as usual; our incredibly snarky know it all. She says nothing as we go through a mud-filled field between the outskirts of the countryside.

"What if this is somebody's farmland?" I question, noticing how she'd ignored the road a while back and decided to bring us into this empty field.

She groans, "I know a shortcut, doesn't that matter to you?"