Is He Dead? CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

The whole situation of being allowed to leave feels almost surreal; maybe too good to be true? But I can't shake the fact that I have met the man who supposedly is my future lover. I'm intrigued by him yet meeting him will bring me closer to my death.

The feeling of my throat closing in on itself and a hotness over my body causes me to run outside. Seeking fresh air doesn't immedietly make my body cool, so I step out into the rain. The open wound on my leg stings immediately at the drop of water.

I cringe but still allow the miracle rain shower to speck my clothing. I tilt my chin up to the sky, feeling the soft drips fall upon my cheeks. This rain is calming, and not as invasive as the cold downpours I experienced in the woods before.

My ears still perk at the sounds of everyone back inside, so I cautiously turn a corner and almost scream when Luke comes out of hiding. He has a huge look of concern on his pale face and I can't fathom how I managed to not hear him. He must have been standing there for a while.

Instantly he pulls me up into a gentle hug, "I'm so glad you're okay."

I nearly fall at the weight being pulled onto my injured leg. The physical affection does not do me well and I push him off me, even though he attempts at clinging to me. I hear the sounds of short breaths out of view. They are out in the rain and I'm assuming are the rest of our group.

"Do you guys know how worried Estelle and Lynn are?"

I point back to the building I came from but Luke only takes ahold of my arm and tries to drag me towards the woods where the group is hiding. I stop him in the middle of the field, "Listen to me!"

He looks around panicked, "Not right now!"

"The alpha werewolf is dead, and they are set free from some mind trap. We don't need to fight anymore, they're letting us go."

"What?" He releases my arm and gazes his blue eyes over my shoulder. The stiffness fades from the muscles in his face.

"They thanked us..." I feel sick once more, "...and I was gifted the slave."

His relief suddenly shrinks, "Did you find Koda?"

I was right, there was one less person that should have been coming back with them, "No. I hoped you would have found him."

"Well he's not here at all."

My mind wonders about where he could have been taken. The only explanation I've concluded is that he got free. But deep in the back of my mind I'm reminded about how many times he's left us without warning. It could be another one of those occasions.

****

Gathering together for a grand reunion of ten, my family has decided the only way to get back is by foot through the forest. I stray at the back of the huddle, uncomfortable from being in such a crowd; especially with the two werewolves and slave immersed in the group as well.

We are advised by the wolf pack leader that the trek will be almost half a day on foot and so with Jane being drained of energy we will need to have someone carry her. The new alpha announces he will send the second wolf to lead the way and to carry Jane upon its back.

With the rain subsiding, the alpha bids us a heartwarming farewell and bows once more at me. My mind is spinning to the point where I only nod and speak to no one.

The intriguing vampire beside me gives me company at the back of the group as we walk into the shaded forest. Unfortunately his presence is becoming somewhat sickening and I have the urge to get to know him; although I refuse to speak a word to him.

I just can't imagine the fact that the Hunters are correct, that this man will be the key to the ritual. Not only this but how can they know he is the man I will love? You can't predict such a thing, right?