Chapter 13

"Ok ask," I said politely

"Do you know what happened to Olivia?" She asked as a tear fell down her cheek. 

"Um, yeah she died," I said awkwardly scratching my head. 

"That's obviously not what she means," Taylor said through the spy earphones.

Mrs Smith looked taken aback by my answer but didn't say anything. 

"No, I mean do you know who killed her?" She asked. 

"Nope," I said looking around the house and saw a family photo. There were Mr and Mrs Smith with Olivia and Ethan between them. That's when I remembered that Ethan existed! I had been so caught up with the mystery that I stopped speaking to my friends. I made a mental note in my head to talk to him later. 

"What was your relationship like with Olivia?" Mrs Smith asked in what I think was an attempt to change the topic. 

"She was my bestie," I said. "Soulmate even" 

"I'm glad she had a friend like you," Mrs Smith said "She never had any friends growing up, and was always so lonely"

"Is that so?" I asked surprised, "We never talked about our school friends too much"

"This is boring why are we spying on their conversation," Taylor asked through the earphones. 

"To protect Arya of course," Kaylee said.

"From what? She just went to meet her friend's mom" Taylor said annoyed. 

"Ok, let's stop," Kaylee said "Arya needs to focus on her convo with that lady" 

I was glad Kaylee said that because their argument was getting both annoying and distracting. There was an awkward silence, I guess she didn't know what to say so I decided to speak. 

"I know it's a little late for this" I started "But I'm really sorry for your loss, Olivia was a great person and I'm sure she's in a better place now" 

Mrs Smith didn't say anything, so I decided to continue my speech a little more. 

"I know that what I'm saying won't ease the pain, but I know Olivia, and know that she'd want us to enjoy the rest of our lives instead of being depressed" 

"Yeah, you're right," Mrs Smith said, with no emotion. Did I hit a sensitive topic? I hope not, and even if it's her fault she invited me over. Surely she was going to talk about this right? It's not like she'd want to befriend someone twenty years younger than her.

"At least you have another son left," I said trying to lighten the mood. 

"Arya! What the hell?" Kaylee and Taylor yelled. 

I don't know if they were speechless or just chose not to distract me, but they stopped talking.

"I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable," Mrs Smith said "But are you sure you don't know what happened to her?"