Chapter 24

I sat on the borders of Jericho Beach alongside Caia

I sat on the borders of Jericho Beach alongside Caia. We embraced the cool breeze, as I took a sip of my pineapple juice, Caia staring at me with saliva practically drooling from her mouth.

"You can't have any," I said sternly before she could ask.

"I didn't even say anything," She said with an eye roll.

"But you were going to," I said raising my eyebrow.

"Fine, be that way," She said scoffing.

"Ugh, fine, take it," I said giving her what was left of my juice. I know, I am too kind.

It had been a week since we'd moved here

It had been a week since we'd moved here. I tried to let go of the past, but it just kept coming back to me. Every night, I'd dream about Arya's pleas as we murdered her love. I tried to tell myself that it was the only choice I had. 

But I knew deep down it wasn't. I could've gotten Caia arrested, she did deserve it. But I couldn't bear the thought of seeing her in handcuffs being dragged inside a police jeep.

"What's up, Taylor?" Caia asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"Nothing," I said with a sigh.

"I'm sorry for the mess I got you in," She said with an apologetic look. "But we need to try and make the best of life"

"You're right," I said plastering my face with a smile. Caia must've noticed my unsatisfied face, because the next thing I knew, she ordered another pineapple juice.

"That one's on me," She said smiling. 

Oh, and speaking of jobs, I asked my company to transfer me to Vancouver and Caia started a job as a tourist guide. We rented a tiny apartment downtown, as it was too expensive anywhere else. 

We agreed to get a better place once we'd saved up enough money. Life was looking good. Despite how much I regretted throwing Arya and Ethan under the bus, it was nice to be with my family. 

After our parents died, I was all alone, none of our aunts or uncles kept in contact, and I'd thought Caia was dead and felt so lonely all the time.

It was nice having her back.