Chapter 16

"You're next?" I said out loud "What does that even mean?"

I got my answer soon after, I heard a huge crash behind me and turned around to see my apartment in flames. 

"Oh no!" Taylor exclaimed as she ran towards the building, but I grabbed her hand.

"Don't!" I said.

"But Kaylee's in there, you fool!" She exclaimed, panic evident in her face.

I called 911 to report the incident, and soon firetrucks and ambulances had reached the scene. I sat on a bench nearby praying that they'd save Kaylee. She had all the information we needed, and she was also my friend. 

Taylor sat beside me. 

"I'm sure she'll be fine, I mean she has her inventions, I'm sure she'll save herself," She said, but I could sense that she didn't entirely mean it.

I was staring anxiously at the stretchers coming out of the building, paramedics rushing to save lives. I couldn't help but feel guilty if I wasn't so hell-bent on finding this person, all these innocents would be safe. Kaylee would be safe.

I couldn't make out who the people on the stretchers were due to the blankets covered on them, but I couldn't identify a few physical features, and none matched Kaylee's. I'd recognise her brown fluffy hair anywhere. Did she burn to ashes? No!

All the ambulances had left long before with the patients, and the firetruck left too

All the ambulances had left long before with the patients, and the firetruck left too. What about Kaylee? Did they not find her. 

I wanted to rush to the hospital, but before I could two police officers approached us, to investigate the fire.

"What happened?" One asked.

I wanted to tell them everything, about C.A and all the clues we had. But something stopped me.

"I don't know, I came back home from jogging and suddenly the buildings burst into flames," I said with tears in my eyes. 

They asked a few more, pretty random questions to both me and Taylor before leaving.