CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Chapter 28
Nyx's POV

My body was caged between a tall muscular one in the kitchen where I sat on the counter watching him cook for us.

Look at you, having two men cook for us. My beast patronises with distaste. I tune her out just as soon as I hear her rant. I am responsible with cutting what needed to be cut but for the love of the Goddess I am not in the mood! So when he noticed I was neglecting my duty he'd raise a brow and I'd pout, then silently steal a kiss from him.

And kisses I stole.

Thus far we haven't properly discussed pending relations. As soon as we got into bed we conversed in a more civilised manner, if I may.

I think he dreads the verbal talk just as much but truth be told, whatever's weighing us down has to be discussed. "It wouldn't kill you to put a shirt on, you know." I said to him as his body flexed flawlessly with every hand movement he did around the kitchen. His body is attractively decorated with scars and markings, all the things I love to see on a man. Kai wears these with pride and honour as he strolls in his Alpha king mode. "You mean the shirt on you? You'd be doing us a favour by taking it off..." He started as his eyes focused more on his cooking than my lazy famished being. "Indeed." He finished saying then focused his gaze on me. His eyes did a quick colour switch between his wolf eyes and his, I could feel that they were in tune and I'm currently not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I like that he's talking to me more than before and when he looks at me he still bares a spark that placates me. I'm assuming he has shoved what happened in my pack at the back of his head for now. Yet I feel that once he knows I'm travelling with someone else he'll lash out. Not just any man. Elena spoke making me visibly cringe. What is up with my animals today?! Goddess!

Another man. My mate at that.

I heave a sigh, fidgeting his shirt while my thoughts are far from here. Sometimes I smile at him when he steals looks from my side checking up on me. He catches my attention when he says "Law enforcement has heard of your sudden trip..." He trails, "They think it's rather "immature" for an alpha to depart from her people right after there was a rogue attack rumoured." I gulp. "...an attack I had to hear from Nathan." That bastard i lowly said making sure I retaliate once I get back home. "He claims you had the rogue king's mate in your household, though she left-"

"Nathan doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about."

"I see. But would you let me finish before you get defensive?" I feel as though he's trying so hard to not be formal with me, yet fights it because of my disobedience. "Under Council Law rule you are not allowed to come to the East without permission from your respective Alpha King... Silas says he knows nothing of your little adventure with..." he halts his sentence for a good minute making me anticipate, and the more he prolongs his statement, the more I begin to worry. "...a vamp?" He chuckles as he walks to the other side of the kitchen where the oven is. Inside there's a cooking chicken with roasted vegetables. I fight hard for my heart not to thunder in my chest so I do not raise suspicion. So many questions are running through my head, but I refuse to speak before he finishes. "I'm running low on trust these days it's as if we're playing hide and seek. Seek but I do not find anything reassuring to your wellness." He pauses for a good minute.

"I—" He interjects, "-am trying to be as understanding as any sane person can be but I'm not completely human love so when I impulsively act I can guarantee consequences. It's one thing that we live flights away, I already cannot deal with such distance but when you do things without informing me first you are testing my wolf." His voice gets grumpier and hoarse while he turns off the stoves. "We do not like it."