One.

Chapter One.
Author's POV.

Steps leading to the dungeon made a disapproving creaking sound as the female Alpha descended upon them with enough anger to send everyone in sight into hiding. Nyx was furious, hell anybody would be if they were woken up at two in the morning because of a trespasser. Verbally she couldn't complain since it's her job to tend to problems as alpha but her movements vividly did that for her.

"Alpha." The guard acknowledges with his head bowed down as he could feel the anger emanating from her. With only a nod she enters the opened cell. Taking in the sight in front of her warily her eyes clashes with brown frightened ones looking everywhere, with no focus. Both her and her wolf liked the respect she gave but couldn't understand why she's sitting in front of her since she didn't smell a rogue scent on her.

"Hello." Her hoarse voice echoes around the small confined room.

"H- hi." Nyx sighed heavily at the frightened wolf in front of her. To say Alpha Nyx is a terrfying woman would be an understatement, her looks fill both men and women with ambivalence. Having siren blood in her makes hating her even more difficult and she uses that fact to her advantage. "Tell me why I shouldn't kill you... I hardly get visits like these, especially in the hour of witches." A snarl from both her and her dominant animals left her lips as she finished her sentence. Nyx didn't move from the door where she leaned on looking at the young she-wolf with her natural born dark eyes which are too dark one can mistake them for her wolf's.

"I, I-" A wail left her lips while she was about to speak, Nyx growled lowly at the lack of response, eyes flashing from gold to grey. Closing her eyes for a moment she opened them once her animals were calm. "What's your name?" She exhaled.

"Evangeline Spencer."

"Of all territories Evangeline, why are you here?" Instead of the human speaking, her wolf does so, calm and radiating warmth. "I- I met my mate..." The word mate made her feel uneasy but she didn't make it salient, she stood quietly and listened. "I reside with the humans, attending a local college there... Earlier this afternoon a man came in one of my classes, I- I smelt him, he wa- is my mate." A tear fell from her cheeks from the daunting memory she's reliving. Nyx looked at her as she displayed weakness filling her with agitation. "He's not just any man, an Alpha." As she recalls the experience of meeting her mate she shudders. Evangeline raises her head to meet Nyx's eyes in anger, fear and confussion. "He's the alpha of rogues."

Shock, pity and another feeling she couldn't quite explained creeped on on her.

Even the rats ceased their movements... It was silent as if death fell upon them, Eva refused to cry because she did that back in her apartment. "I ran Alpha... Hours later rumors started to spread about him looking for me, I had to go. Then, he- he," She fisted her hands holding back a sob. By how she was shaking, Nyx could tell her beast wanted to surface. "He killed the cab driver and your pack was the closest, please understand... When I entered your territory he didn't follow me in, he wanted to but he hesitated... I guess after much thought he turned back and left. He was so livid."

There's a reason he didn't. The alpha said in her head.

Letting the words settle in Nyx released a breath masking her yawn. No emotion ran through her mind from the young girl's words, all she wanted was to rest since her wolf has been on the edge lately. "Who's your alpha?"

"Alpha Aurora." Nyx nodded and gestured her to come closer, Eva warily complied, bowing her head as she stood in front of the intimidating woman. "When morning comes, I want you to tell me the truth..." Since she had her head lowered Nyx tilted her by her chin so they were eye to eye. She searched for a trace of fear on her face, her audible gulp proved her thoughts. She dropped her hand and emphasized. "Everything."