Chapter 54

"But tell me Yagami, you've never killed someone before, have you?" Mello questioned, as the laying male turned over to grab a gun. Mello made sure someone would be there to play dead and kill Soichiro.

The male grabbed the gun, pointed it at Soichiro, and shot multiple bullets at Soichiro's back. "Gunfire?" Light questioned, as (Y/n) had to take off her headpiece to not go deaf. Eventually, the gunfire stopped, and Soichiro is heard groaning in pain and hits the floor.

"Jose! The notebook!" Mello commanded as the male tried to get Soichiro off the notebook, but the dying male was too stubborn. Mello put on a gas mask and noticed footsteps coming his way, most likely they heard the gunshots from far away, and came to investigate it.

When they shined the light in the darkroom, they were surprised to see Soichiro on the floor. The male goes to point the gun at the special task force, only to be shot by Aizawa. "DEPUTY DIRECTOR!!" Matsuda yelled out, the two quickly running to Soichiro.

"IT'S ALL OVER MELLO! PUT YOUR HANDS UP AND SURRENDER!" Aizawa commanded as everyone pointed their guns at him. Mello didn't say anything, he just lifted the trigger and pushed, sending off multiple explosions, and destroying everything outside and inside the building.

(Y/n) watches as the cameras went from seeing rooms, to static, with the audio of explosions sounding through the mic. "Mello... No..." (Y/n) mumbled, unaware that it was Mello's plan all along, thinking that everyone had died. "Light! I don't see any sign of Mello!" Aizawa exclaimed. Light growled out, knowing that Mello got away alive, pissed off that his Dad let him get away.

When the special force got back, Soichiro was quickly rushed to the hospital, along with the others. Now, they are all gathered around Soichiro's hospital bed, as they didn't want to transfer him to the morgue. "Come on! Please, Dad... You can't die on me like this!" Light exclaimed.

"Light..." Soichiro weakly said as he forced himself to open his eyes. "Yeah, Dad?" Light questioned, "Th... Thank goodness..." Soichiro heaved out slowly. "Y-You'll be fine... It's okay..." Light reassured, seemingly sad about his father's state. "Light... I still have them... I still have the Shinigami eyes... According to that Shinigami, Ryuk... I can't see the lifespan of someone who owns a notebook. But, I can see the numbers above your head..." Soichiro informed.

"Light... You really aren't Kira... I'm so glad... My son..." Soichiro said happily, tears clouding his eyes. "Don't tell me you're still worried about that, chief, of course, he's not Kira" Matsuda silently teased, trying to lighten the mood. They were all unaware that Light is Kira, and isn't actually sad about Soichiro's death.

"I... I'm so sorry... But... In the end... I couldn't do it... I couldn't bring myself to kill him" Soichiro confessed. 'I just can't come out and say 'it's not too late,' no, wait, maybe I can! It all depends on how I do it! No one will think it's weird if I get upset and panic Light thought, still eager to kill Mello.

Light quickly grabbed the notebook from his coat, along with a pen, and held it out to his father. "Come on! Dad! Write his name! He can't let him beat you like this! Write his name down! With your last bit of strength! Do you want to die in vain?!" Light questioned, but he was too late.

Soichiro's eyes slightly drooped, showing that he isn't strong enough to respond anymore. "Dad! No!" Light yelled out, "Light..." Soichiro said with his last breath, and his eyes turned white. The sound of the monitor beeping had gone into a flight line, announcing his death.

Light started screaming at his Dad to wake up, tears running down everyone's face. (Y/n) stood there, looking at Light with a glare, not believing that he's crying over Soichiro's death. 'That monster, he wasn't even sad earlier, he's just a heartless killer, and nothing else' (Y/n) thought with a scowl.

They left the building and they all touched the bloody notebook to see the new Shinigami. (Y/n) didn't have to touch it, as she can already see it without the notebook. "You're the Shinigami to take this notebook, aren't you?" Light questioned, while they all stare at the Shinigami.

"Yes," the Shinigami confirmed, "the notebook might be helpful in the Kira investigation. But, we really only need one of them. we'll give this one back to you" (Y/n) informed as they hand over the notebook. The Shinigami flies off with the notebook, everyone but Light, (Y/n), and Ryuk, watched the Shinigami fly away.

'Humans who use the notebook are cursed with fear, pain, and misery... Of course, Soichiro didn't use the notebook. He got to die, believing that his son wasn't Kira, I guess that means, he was happy' Ryuk concluded. While Light is still pissed off that the events didn't go his way, and ended up sacrificing people for no reason.