Chapter 69

"M-Mello... Died?" (Y/n) mumbled out, no one even talked about his death, only Takada's death. "Hello L, I don't mean to keep bothering you, but with regards to our meeting... I wanted to confirm if we're still set for the 28th at 1 p.m," Near said, while gently petting (Y/n)'s head as she is trying her hardest not to cry.

"Yes," Light confirmed, quite delighted that Near is sticking with the original time. "Very well, the 28th, the day after tomorrow" Near reminded, before ending the call. Once he ended the call, he shifted his focus on (Y/n), gently taking her into a hug, to let her cry into his shirt.

"Jivany, will you be able to make it in time?" Near questioned, as he made sure to mute (Y/n)'s crying with his body. "Yes, I'll be there for sure" Jivany confirmed, "Commander Rester, Lindner, Jivany, (Y/n)... Let's put our best into this, shall we?" Near asked while using his free hand to hold up a toy that looks like L Lawliet.

The days passed quickly, now it's finally the 28th, it's like the day knew of the upcoming chaos, thus decided to pour down rain for the upcoming loss. "Good morning everyone," Near said into the mic, "Uhm... Good morning" Matsuda said, only to be polite.

"First of all, and regards to Misa Amane, we've already set her free. You may call her to confirm it" Near informed, patiently waiting for them to confirm Misa's safety. "Alright Near, I need you to connect me with Mogi, we have the notebook locked away here, and in order to open the safe, we need the pin number from each team member" Light informed.

"Understood, I'll connect you to him immediately," Near said, and quickly switched lines. "This is Mogi... The number is, 62-324" Mogi said through the phone. Now the task force has access to the notebook, the very thing that is causing all this chaos.

"Near, it's me, we discussed it, and it's been decided that I'll be the one to carry the notebook," Aizawa said. "L, are you sure it's alright with you that Mr. Aizawa carries it? Be honest" Near asks, wanting willing confirmation. "Of course, I chose Aizawa for the job because we knew you'd prefer that, I have no problems with, it," Light said with a smirk.

"I appreciate it, thank you, well then, we'll see you shortly," Near said, finally ending the call. "Come on (Y/n), we have a case to finish," Near said while standing up, trying to encourage (Y/n) to do the same. "A-Alright... Let's take down this monster, once and for all" (Y/n) said somewhat confidently.

The ride to the building was long, but they finally made it before the task force. The clock ticked slowly, as they waited for Light to open the rusty red door. When Light finally came into view, (Y/n) is sitting down, with Near on her lap, Near is currently wearing a mask that looks like L Lawliet, while his team behind him is wearing no masks.

The sound of rain hits against the glass, along with the sound of a rusty mettle fan trying to spin. 'Near... You're far inferior to L, you have no right to be wearing a mask of L. You also have no right to be sitting on her lap!' Light thought in anger. "It's them, those 4 are the SPK, and the one sitting on (Y/n)'s lap, is Near" Aizawa informed.

"Grr... Hang on, am I the only one who sees something wrong?! He can go around, accusing people of being Kira, but the fact that he's wearing a mask. Says he's only trying to protect himself! Not anyone else!" Matsuda pointed out angrily. "Matsuda..." (Y/n) tries to reason, but Near silences her by putting his hand on his mask.

"It's just a precaution, there's a good possibility that Kira has seen the faces of everyone in this warehouse, except for mine" Near reasoned. "In fact, he may be writing down your names as we speak, so I'd like to wait for 1 hour. No, make it 30 minutes, that should give us more than enough time to see if anyone's being controlled before they die" Near said casually.

"What?! You're going to wait and see if we die?!" Matsuda asked in disbelief. The minutes ticked on, and only tense silence was heard in the room. Light is trying his hardest not to laugh out loud, as he suspects that Near is trying to buy time for Mikami to show up.

"Near! It's already been 30 minutes! Nothing happened yet!" Matsuda exclaimed. "Of course not, that's because Kira's not in here with us," Light said confidently. "Very well, everyone seems to be safe, I'll remove my mask now, (Y/n) don't attempt to stop me," Near said, knowing full well (Y/n) will try her best to prevent his death.

Near then removed the mask, giving Light a strange happy smile, but Light gave a small smile back. "You're quiet Near, what's wrong? Are you still waiting for something?" Light asked mockingly. "Waiting? That's an excellent choice of words, yes I am waiting, for the arrival of someone who will solve everything once and for all" Near said casually.

"He'll be here soon, it's only a matter of time, there's only one entrance to this building. And the only way to look inside is by opening that door. That means, he'll either walk through that door, or the very least, open it, and peak through" Near said while making sure to block (Y/n)'s face from the door's view, so that X-Kira doesn't see her face.

"Just who is this person anyway?!" Matsuda asked, wanting an answer. "X-Kira, the one who's currently using the notebook, and killing people on Kira's behalf. He's bound to come here and bring the notebook with him, and then, he'll see me and write down my real name. Or rather, he'll write down the names of everyone here, who knows about the notebook and kill them" Near informed.

This shocked everyone, except for (Y/n) and Light, as they already knew this information. "What...? What are you saying?! This doesn't make any sense! What are you trying to tell us Near?! That some other guy will drop by with the notebook, poke his head in, and kill us all?!!" Matsuda exclaimed as he is fearing for his life.

"And you want us to sit back, and let it happen?!" The policeman exclaimed, not wanting to die so soon. "Yes, that's correct, now listen carefully, if someone comes into the warehouse through that door. Just let him in without resisting, if the door opens slightly, simply act as if you don't notice anyone there" Near ordered.

"B-But... That's just crazy!!" Matsuda exclaimed, not liking this idea at all. "He's already here!" Near exclaimed, as everyone quickly looked to the door. "DELETE!! Delete, delete, delete, delete, delete!!" Mikami exclaimed, writing down everyone's names, including (Y/n), making sure to glance past Near's head to see her face, not realizing it's his old childhood friend.