Chapter 13:Golden Ring

~*Rishima's POV*~
     "-I'm sorry, sir, the person you're looking for... she died some time ago against several demons. If you need more information, it's all here in her death account." I pushed the paper I'd fished out earlier across the table to my newest customer of the night- a young man, he too, a demon slayer like the person he came to look into about. His hands made their way to slowly lift the page up once my digits traced back into my lap. I gazed at him sympathetically, keeping my words to myself as my client clenched his emotions up in his face.

     The report in his hand is of his former sister, from what he's told me. This is his last stop, already having traveled to all the other places possible where he could've searched, just to come up short. I hate having to remember that this is the final resort of searches like his, because when people approach the Third Sector of the Archives, the best information you'll get here are death certificates and... maybe a detailed description of how the person died if you can stomach it.

     My teeth went to nip at my tongue, bite back anything I might say off the top of my head while the slayer choked up on his words, going to bury his grasps into his black hair in some type of hope of calming himself down. With a forced smile and teary eyes, he turned the file over face down and slid it back to my side, having no willpower to look at it any longer.

    "She... she was gone for over three weeks after the start of that mission before I finally decided to look into it. God... I was so oblivious." The man sarcastically chuckled to himself and pulled his bangs out of his eyes, red from the emotion they won't willingly show. He glanced at me after that comment and gave an apologetic smile to my calm expression.

     "Sorry I'm dumping this all on you, you're only the manager of this place. You probably hear this stuff all the time when people come by."

     "No, no, you don't have to worry, this is part of my job anyways!" I said to the patient before me in the kind voice that I've learned especially helps soothe issues like this. One of the reasons why I managed to jump up to the Third Sector, I'm a good people-person.

     The warrior fumbled his fingers between each other in the little wrap they sat on among the low furniture, sniffling while he rubbed away the tears trying to escape from the corners of his eyes. He's taking this all so well, I know I'd be a total mess if I found out a family member as close as a sister perished so long ago without me even knowing.

     "Was my sister... the only person that died to those demons? I understand she wasn't the absolute best at her job, but she wasn't weak." My client mentioned along with his query.

     "She was one out of many that fell to them. Hinoe, Kinoto, you name it, they probably went to Nichibotsu to tackle the problem of demons. It wasn't until Hashira were sent in that the situation was neutralized. From what they told, the demons were abnormally strong." I went to grab the paper I pulled out not too long ago to fix it back into the folder I got it from- a little thinner than what the files usually are. Since there wasn't much of a body for the Kakushi to examine, or an immediate alert of the slayer's death, we got to skip the whole gruesome step of giving the final-state account and time of death.

     My recovering customer took his time to nod his head and stand up from his seat at the table, smoothing down the wrinkles that've creased into his haori. His words came next with the pause between us. "...T-thankyou, for this, that's all I came here yo ask. Are there... any payments I have to-"

     "Don't worry about that, you don't need to pay for anything! I'm sorry for your loss, again." I got up too and paid my respects through a bow, already knowing what the man was trying to offer. We don't take money here, not for something worth knowing if someone's still alive or not. It shouldn't have any type or price on it.