Chapter 58:Ruka

~*(y,n)'s POV*~
     I've never taken myself for a dancer, I never saw the point in trying when there are so many who train all their lives. (c,n) said it would suit me better than the job that I have now, make some good-earned money and do something worth my (her) time. I've got the grace of our family in the soles of my sandals, and it shows as I move alongside the man as if he's my show partner.

     The ribbons of the festival shine around us, some white as ice, others pink and green. The epitome of a star play, wielding choreography like no other performanceof our time. We put the Red Light District to shame- out of business, no practice needed to know exactly where the next step will happen.

     I took my final move before the intermission after flipping far off from Shutsuga, Mitsuri next to me. She's bloody, I'm bloody, even our enemy's clothes are soaked. There's a dress code for this party. I'll give him  a water break, I think we need a rest of our own.

     "How's your head, how bad are the visions now?" We aren't dancing for now, some small talk will do us good. 'Is home treating you well?', ''Going on another date with Iguro?', 'How long do you think you'll last before you lose yourself to the forest'? Regukar conversation starters.

     She's got a vacant stare in her green eyes, not just blank, but entirely dismissive and barren of her own thoughts. There's no emotion, not even a regard to what I'm saying. She's been fighting for her life outside just as much as she's been battling this parasite The spores, they're trying to take over her system, hungry for the attention that nurses them. Tiny flower petals have started to grow around her eyes, disguising themselves as eyelashes. Any further, and they'll make a cozy spot directly on her retinas.

    She's dancing a beautiful and dangerous game with those visions, probably Iguro, from what Shutsuga said earlier. Who else, but her lover to tempt her. Will she eat the fruit he offers, will she take that fated bite?

      "Ice Breathing, 6th form... Permafrost." The chill waved around the woman's hair as if it were braiding it all over again, letting a paper-thin layer crust over her cheeks and around the flowers. There's only several small incisions, smaller tunnels beneath the skin where those vines have tried to burrow deeper into her face...

     She fell into the touch of my frozen hand while the petals fell away from her face and perished. The screamed in their defeat, all the way down to the ground. Their soil's done for the season, they'll have to wait 'till next year.

     Whatever's happening to her, I'm not going through it too, even when we've both been taking the exact same attacks from our opponent. If I'm exempt from walking into the wrong weeds, I have to be sure that she doesn't get dragged in by the grip on her ankles. She's got two wrists, after all, and I'll keep pulling on the opposite side of what hold the garden is trying to gain.

     My comrade swished her gaze to me after regaining some of her balance, her mind coming back from the color of her look. She patted her face after I retreated my digits, flinching at the cold ice under her fingertips. That was one of the easy ones, I didn't want to go as far as mending everything. The energy tax afterwards would be a bitch to shoulder.

     "What..."

     "Don't ask, you're welcome." I said to the Slayer when arming my blade at my right, allowing for my ice to stop the newest twist of tree branches from making yakitori out of us. Break time is up, the crowd is screaming for the dance to commence once more.

     "(y,n), what's going on here?" She looked to me for answers, the scholar, but my library has been burned down. I've got nothing else to teach her, nothing else to search for explanations.