Chapter 60:Pen and ink

~*Kyojuro's POV*~
     Every step has been cold, almost sluggish with the numbing sensation across my right side. (y,n) said it would be weird, but I never imagined something like this (it barely feels like my leg is attached to my body)! I just have to make it a little further to change my clothes before I leave, I'm sure I can call a ride to Shinobu's estate. I didn't want to keep the others waiting if I took too long, Mitsuri seemed fit to croak if she had to wait any longer to see Iguro.

     I would've also if I had to sit in that cart with my other comrade any longer.

     I know I may've been laughing, but it's not the easiest admitting to such a distant soul that you're dedicating yourself to their wellbeing. May the thought be detested... and she did just that. No one said it would simply be making a promise to a messenger bird, who could imagine it would be that easy? I almost want to think that the act of protecting her will be no sweat compared to breaking that tough skin.

     "You're back. It took you long enough, boy..." What a treat... I didn't think I'd have my father greeting me, it's usually Senjuro. The house is clean from the moment I enter, there's light pouring in from the hallway... and it doesn't reek of sake. That miasma cloud was following his every step for years. I'm sure he's had a drink or two today, but in good moderation.

     My old man nodded his head to me as I locked the door in my tracks, doing an awkward, stiff bow with what's achievable through the ice. "I expected myself to be back sooner, but it was a tricky mission!" I shook my head. Tricky mission? I feel like my mind is no longer my own. It's been defiled. There were things I wasn't supposed to see, things like-

     The scruffy man stood up from his seat at the sight of my expression, swirling his drink around- jade tea, by the aroma in the room. "You got that same look on your face... the one you had before you left." He said in my path into the house-;' I let him enter my quarters while slipping away my top shirt, chipping off the small pieces of ice around the rips.

     "I guess it's stuck... I don't exactly know what that means, but it's there." I chuckled while my hand reached the coldest part of my abdomen, feeling the chill embrace my fingertips. 

     "Son," He closed the door behind him, stood tall and crossed his arms, "You're clueless." Well, he couldn't have said it any better. The mystery has been 'solved', as if I didn't already know that.

     "I don't suppose you'll enlighten me on your thoughts, father? You seem so adamant on your conclusion." It's been days since that little upturn. You'd think I would've forgotten those hidden words, but just seeing his face has reminded me enough. He covered his mouth while he spoke so I couldn't hear or seen what he said, and I want to know exactly what was behind the curtain.

     "You said to Senjuro that I'm sick... what did you actually mean by that? What was that you said afterwards?" I turned to the retired Slayer, a sad smirk across my lips. He sighed, as if he's the one who just got back from the job, scratching his messy bed-head.

     "It's your fault for asking, you could've gone on without this..." He grumbled to me- will I end up regretting this? What could possibly be worse than the unknown?

      "It was lovesick, son. ... You're in love with that (l,n) woman." My eyes are saucers, my mouth gone to a similar shape in no time. My cheeks try to camouflage themselves in the tips of my hair, but that's only brought them out even more. I've had few hints blow over me about the idea, but hearing it is more than what I expected the punch to be.

     I haven't quite collapsed to have that sock to the stomach, haven't folded like paper. It's bound to happen, I'm sure, must I continue to avoid the thought. Paper can only hold so much on it's own before it succumbs to the weight, and such volume to a single prospect is...