𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞: 𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐝

The King of Joseon, known for his possessiveness, ruled his kingdom with an iron fist. His possessiveness extended beyond material possessions; it encompassed the trust of his people and his crown. He was so possessive that he did not allow foreign rulers or traders into his land, fearing that his people would leave and never return. Consequently, when a year of drought came, and the land's water and food diminished, the people began to resent him. Without a foreign ally, the kingdom would surely fall.

When he heard whispers of being overthrown, the King immediately gathered his advisors to discuss his next move. They offered him a simple solution: to marry a foreign girl who was the daughter of a king ruling a smaller kingdom. By doing so, they could overtake the land through war.

Without hesitation, the King agreed, and he sent a declaration to many lands around the world, inviting the daughters of kings who wished to be married. For a year or so, many daughters came and visited, but none of them wished to wed him, for he was selfish and heartless.

When all hope seemed lost, a young woman from the island of Jamaica accepted to marry him without even meeting him. The advisors were against this decision for many reasons, but the King did not care. He wanted his people's trust again, so he called for her and some of her people to come and stay in the palace. Little did he know that this would be a turning point in his life.