Chapter 31

Storm on the Horizon

Asora stood in the grand royal hall with King Taehan, surrounded by her wisemen who were discussing matters of state. The air was heavy with the weight of their deliberations when suddenly, a guard burst through the hall's doors with wild eyes, interrupting their meeting.

"Your Majesty," the guard gasped, breathless from his haste. "You must come quickly. The seamen are hurt."

Without hesitation, Queen Asora called for her uncle to fetch the healer and medics, and she turned to Lydia and commanded, "Prepare the army. We need them on high alert."

Asora, King Taehan, and the others followed the frantic guard through the crowded streets and down to the bustling dock. Panic gripped her heart as she caught sight of her ships in the distance.

Her eyes widened in horror as one of her beloved vessels was engulfed in flames, the fire blazing as it began to dock. Another ship had already moored, and both her people and seamen were rushing to aid the injured men disembarking. Her breath caught as she saw one man being carried ashore, completely limp.

But it was the last ship that shattered her composure. Tears streamed down her face as she watched it sinking into the unforgiving ocean. Desperation took hold, and Asora immediately called for a smaller boat to be dispatched to rescue those still afloat. She wasted no time, casting aside her royal robe and rolling up the sleeves of her green dress.

After several frantic trips, desperately hurling buckets of water onto the burning boat, Asora and the rescue team manage to get everyone who is still alive off the blazing vessel. However, just when they think the worst is over, Asora's keen ears catch a faint cry amidst the chaos. Her eyes widen in horror as she realizes that someone is still trapped on the inferno.

King Taehan sees the determination in Asora's eyes and moves to grab her, but before he can reach her, she makes a daring decision. Without hesitation, she jumps back onto the burning boat, eliciting screams of protest from her husband, wisemen, and the onlookers.

Upon landing on the fiery deck, she quickly rips her dress to fashion a makeshift mask to protect her lungs from the thick smoke. As she ventures below deck, she discovers the lifeless bodies of several men and women. Her heart aches, but her attention is drawn to a baby among the deceased. She checks the mother's pulse and sadly confirms her passing.

With buckets of water nearby, she douses herself before tucking the baby close to her bosom, she unwraps the baby from the blanket and also soaks if in water before wrapping and tying the baby against her ensuring the infant is protected from the flames.

Asora races back to the deck, where the fire now rages uncontrollably. As she attempts to make her way around the deck, the flames intensify, and she burns her hands as the ship sways from the rough water below causing the baby to cry even louder. Realizing the dire situation, Asora musters her courage and runs through the roaring fire.

However, as she reaches the edge of the boat, and hands the baby to her people a part of it begins to collapse on her, causing her to jump back further onto the burning vessel. She finds herself trapped, and King Taehan, rushes to get on the boat, but Wisemen Hugh holds him back, fearing for his safety with the understanding that his niece would haunt him if her husband were to meet harm.

Despite the intense heat and perilous situation, Asora manages a smile towards her husband and utters, "I love you," before making a daring leap off the burning ship into the ocean.

The king's heart nearly fails as he watches his beloved wife's daring escape. Guards rush to the other side of the boat to locate the queen. Quickly, she surfaces and begins swimming towards the dock, where they lower a rope to assist her. Asora manages to grab it but with her strength waning many guards had to begin pulling her up as she was now dead weight.

After several seconds she is pulled onto the dock,  where the king, overwhelmed with relief, pushes through the crowd to reach her. He drops to the ground and engulfs her in his arms as she trembled from the coldness.

In that chaotic moment, despite the turmoil and danger they faced, Asora's people witness the depth of love shared between their Queen and King. Their hearts swell with admiration and gratitude for a monarch who would risk her life for her people and a king who loves her just as deeply.

A few hours later amid the somber aftermath of the disaster, bodies were still being recovered and the injured were attended to, their forms discreetly covered with blankets to shield onlookers from the grim sight.

Asora's face burned with fury as she surveyed the scene. It was then that the captain of her fleet, battered and bloodied, approached her with a determined limp. The healers tried to assist him, but his fierce growl made them retreat.

He stood before Queen Asora, saluting her with undeniable loyalty in his eyes. "Your Majesty," he began, his voice filled with resolve, "I can recall everything, and I beg for revenge. They killed my brother, and I want their heads."

Asora returned the salute, her gaze unwavering. Their forearms clasped in a solemn handshake, sealing a pact of vengeance. "I promise you," she declared, her voice dripping with conviction, "when we are done, all their heads will be delivered on a silver platter, while their bodies drown in the depths of the ocean."

Meanwhile, King Taehan watched his wife, a complex mix of emotions swirling within him.

King Taehan had always admired and loved his wife, Queen Asora, for her grace, beauty, and wisdom. He had often found himself enchanted by her serene demeanor, but ase they stood amidst the aftermath of tragedy and her fierce determination to seek revenge, he had a profound realization.

Her outer beauty still remained, but he finally understood what his general had once told him - that beneath that angelic facade was a force to be reckoned with. Asora, now known as "Tiger" in his mind, had unleashed a fierce resolve in her eyes that demanded justice and blood for the wrongs done to her kingdom.

This moment etched a lesson into King Taehan's memory that he would never forget. He had seen his wife transform from a gentle queen to a relentless warrior, and the fire in her eyes was not to be underestimated.

"Captain, once you are cleaned up," she began, her voice unwavering, "head to the battle circle with any men who can further testify or bring any more information on what happened. I want every detail, every piece of information."

Asora's desire for justice and retribution was unyielding. She was resolved to uncover every shred of evidence, to piece together the full story of this tragedy, and to identify the responsible party. Her heart and mind were set on one goal: to make those responsible pay for their actions. She wanted to know which king or queen would face her wrath and meet their fate by her hands, a promise she intended to keep at any cost.