Chapter 11

Obsession With Punishments

In Jamaica, it was common to hear the ocean from where the Queen slept, but as she slowly opened her eyes waiting for the waves to crash, she heard the trots and neighs of horses in the city. A sigh left her lips as she remembered (as if she had almost forgotten) that she was in a foreign land soon to be wedded to a King, she had just met for the first time yesterday.

"Your alive, are you not?" The Queen's eyes opened slowly and she turned to her side to see Wisewomen Lydia dressed and wide awake. She sat at a table writing in the reports on the ship's logs as well as a few other things.

"What do you mean?"

"I feel the stress radiating off you," Lydia chuckled. "So I'm telling you to be thankful that you're alive."

Queen Asora nodded her head in agreement, "I should be up before you, so why are you up?"

"Back home when you slept I could sleep for a while at a time, I knew you were safe and protected..." Lydia sighed, as she put down her pen to look at the Queen. "But here... Here, I do not trust anyone with you. Not even the King. Never before have I been worried about you being killed in your sleep till now."

Queen Asora shot upright, "Why so dark? No need to ruin my morning."

"I heard a creek outside your door last night. There was no way I would be going back to sleep, not unless I didn't care about you." Lydia confessed. "So I've been updating the ships logs, as well as writing reports for those back home to know your okay."

"There were people outside my door?" The Queen asked quietly.

"I know it is one person for sure, but I do not know if there were any more." Lydia said. "You being here is like a target always being on your back. And it's very stressful for all of us."

Asora's face had gone still, Lydia said aloud what the Queen felt, a sitting duck, and that was enough to make the Queen cry.

A sniffle left her lips, but Wisewomen Lydia would not comfort her, she wanted her Queen to understand the magnitude of what could or would happen.

For several long minutes, sniffles and coughs were heard in the room, but it soon came to an end when a knock was heard through the room.

The Queen looked to the door with fear sketched into her eyes, and Lydia's breath hitched. Without thinking Lydia took out her knife from underneath the table and slowly stood up.

Quietly, she signaled the Queen to hide further into the room, but Asora shook her head in disagreement. Instead, she pulled a knife from underneath her pillow and stood up as well.

"If we go down, we go down together," Queen  Asora whispered boldly, although her trembling hands showed anything but bravery.

More creaks sounded from outside, and Lydia's eyes widened in alarm. There was more than one person outside, there were several actually, and it was just her and the Queen alone.

They weren't going to win this fight at all.

Queen Asora's fear, however, slowly turned into annoyance. She didn't like to be threatened; neither side did she like her loved ones to be either.

"Who is outside my room?" Asora asked loudly as she stood up from hiding, and walked closer to the door.

Lydia almost passed out, on hearing the Queen speak, "What are you doing?!" She whispered. "Head to the window and run."

"I will not run." Queen Asora said as she came to her doors. With one swift push to both doors, the doors slid open, and Asora sliced her knife through the air.