Chapter 3

Japh

The new Queen rubbed her temples for the tenth time today as she felt a headache coming on, right now she sat with the wisemen and women of Jamaica and so far no one could agree on anything.

"Those pale faces keep coming back and taking away what is rightfully ours!"

"We need to fight back!"

"No, we need protection."

"Here we go again! We cannot rely on others to help us with our problems! We look weak when we do."

"That's exactly what King Badrick said before, and God forgive me for speaking about a dead man, but that's why we had the massacre in Kingston, because of him. He refused to rely on anyone for years and then when it got tough, he relied on those backstabbing British people and our people died by the thousands. We cannot afford to make that mistake again."

"Queen Asora, what do you think?" A wisemen asked, but the Queen, however, said nothing.

The Queen's uncle rolled his eyes as he watched his niece continue to rubber her temples with her eyes closed, completely ignoring what everyone had said. So he slammed his hand on the table, and immediately the Queen jumped.

"I do not know what you want me to say," The Queen rambled out in frustration. "As we all know we are in a bad position. The previous king was quite honestly a fool. He squandered so much money that it would take several tax jumps to make our country economically salvageable. And I refuse to make the people of Jamaica pay for the late king's faults."

"So what do we do?" Her uncle asked.

She looked to the man who looked most vexed in the room. "Wisemen Judias, while I agree with you that relying on other countries and people can make us seem weak." The Queen said. "We Jamaicans are not weak. And anyone who wishes to challenge that will see once and for all who we are and what we stand for. With that being said, we are going to have to find some type of Allyship with another country, we need more funds and protection until we can stand fully by ourselves."

Wisemen Judias sighed, but he also nodded his head in understanding, "I just cannot stand owing others."

"Well let's not think from that perspective, what do we have that could make us equal to our future ally? What are we abundant with?"

Everyone thought for several seconds before the Queen turned to the white female sitting at the opposite end of the table. "Wisewomen Lydia, seeing as you are head over the food of our people. I have a question, a couple of years ago when the British took much of our food, you decreed under our past King that we had enough food to last for the rest of that year, because our harvesting went so well. And last year, Wisemen Hugh said that the harvesting doubled in quantity. What about this year? Are we still doing well?

Lydia couldn't help but grin widely with pride. Her Queen was truly informed, "Well, it is the seventh month of the year and I am proud to say we have already harvested three times the food needed for our entire country. And we believe we can get another round of harvesting in as well before it gets cooler."

"So in other words, we can barter with our extra supplies of food right?"

Lydia nodded her head in agreement, "Correct."

"And didn't someone say after the last storm we had enough timber for two years?" The Queen asked.

An Asian man sitting a few seats from her raised his hand, "Yes, that was me."