20. Pancakes and playgrounds

The next morning, I get out of bed before Louis or Jonah are up. I don’t want Jonah to feel confused about any of this so we’ll have to try not to act too much like an actual couple.

I head to the kitchen and decide to finally make pancakes. It’s a little scary how much this flat feels like a second home. Maybe it’s mainly because of the people that are with me when I’m here, they make it a home, a place I feel safe at.

I try mixing all the right ingredients but we really need to go grocery shopping soon, the fridge is nearly empty. I improvise a little and hope that they don’t notice I put a little too much milk but an egg to little.

Once I’m done with the dough, I hear tiny footsteps from the hallway.

“Hi Hazzie”, Jonah says as he enters and smiles, “Making pancakes?” He stands on tiptoes to look over the counter and places Stacey on one of the chairs.

“Hi love, yes, I am. Want to help me? Is dad still asleep?”
He nods as an answer to both of my questions so I lift him up the kitchen counter. He giggles and looks into the bowl before dipping a finger into the dough and nodding contently.

“I can make them”, he says and grabs the ladle out of my hand to pour some of the dough into the pan.

“Look.” He proudly points to the pan and smiles.

“Really good”, I say, “You’re a real pancake expert, aren’t you?”

He nods proudly. “Daddy showed me. I can make them since I am little.”

I laugh and ruffle through his hair. “That’s really great.”

When the bowl with the dough is empty, I lift Jonah off the counter. “Go wake daddy up, I’ll set the table, alright?”
He nods and runs of to Louis’ bedroom. I look after him and smile before setting the table.

“Not again”, Louis says as he enters and groans, “Please stop making me breakfast, I feel guilty.

“But I thought you liked pancakes?”
He rolls his eyes but then walks towards me and presses his lips against mine.

“Shut up and kiss me, we got two minutes until Jonah finished brushing his teeth.”
I giggle against his lips and pull away way too soon.

He smiles before sitting down at the table.
“Looks delicious.”

“Don’t eat without me”, Jonah shouts as he comes running into the kitchen, “I’d be mad.”

Louis chuckles and places a pancake on Jonah’s plate before pouring maple syrup onto it.
“There you go, princess, you’re the first one to eat.”

“I’m not a princess, daddy. If anything, I am a prince.”
I laugh and sit down at the table with them.

“Well, then, princes, how about we start eating this delicious meal I cooked?”

“We cooked”, Jonah insists and starts stuffing the pancake into his mouth.

“Really is delicious”, Louis says and smiles, “Thanks Haz.”

I smile back but Jonah loudly interrupts us. “No, don’t call him Haz, he’s my Hazzie. You need to find your own name for Harry.”

Louis laughs loudly. “Oh, sorry honey. The name is all yours but you at least need to share Harry with me, alright?”

Jonah thinks about it for a second before he smiles softly and nods.
“Yeah. He’ll be our Harry and we’ll be his Louis and Jonah.”

~~~

“You’re the most boring with your leg”, Jonah whines and climbs off Louis’ lap.
“Harry can do the cool stuff but you’re like a grandpa. Stupid leg.”

Louis smiles and ruffles through Jonah’s hair.
“I know, darling, it really is a stupid leg. I’ll do the coolest stuff with you once my cast goes of, alright?”

Jonah nods and runs of to the swings, waving and signalling for me to come with him.
I quickly lean in to give Louis a soft peck on the lips before I smile and follow Jonah.

“Slowly, love, I’m not as much as a grandpa as your dad, but I’m also not as young as you are anymore.”

Jonah giggles and waits for me.
“We can do a race. Bet I’m the fastest.”

“I bet. Okay, ready?”
He nods and then shouts: “One, two, three, go!”

He runs of in the middle of counting and I wait a little before I jog after him.

Apparently, he decided that Louis is our winning post because once Jonah arrives at the bench Louis is sitting on, he slaps the wood once and throws his arms into the air.
“Hah”, he shouts, “I won, I’m the fastest!”

I jog towards him and drop onto the bench next to Louis.
“Ugh, damn. You’re just so fast, I had no chance.”

Jonah laughs. “You’re like a sloth, Hazzie, I really thought you can do a little better.”

I laugh and look at Louis who’s watching us with an amused smile.
“I think I need to practice, don’t I?”

Jonah nods eagerly. “But another time. Now we run to the swings. That’s already practice for you sloth.”

I laugh and jog to the swings after him. It’s a little embarrassing that I’m out of breath after a few meters already.

“How about us two go to the gym sometime, huh? You could practice so you get stronger then Liam and I’ll try and work on my sloth-condition.”
He giggles and nods while trying to get the swing to move.
“We can do loads of stuff together. Me and you and daddy. We can also go swimming when I finish learning it and we can also drive to the rollercoasters or we could do a sleepover, how about that?”

I grin. “Sounds amazing, darling, but I hate rollercoasters. I might have to watch you two driving them alone.”

“Ugh. You’re a boring sloth.”
I pout and nod. “Yeah, I know.”

“But you’re my favourite.”

~~~

🦥

how'd you like the chapter?

sorry, it's a little short