36. Most favourites and family

“Yes, daddy”, Jonah says and nods, “Me and Harry will do good.”

Louis smiles and kisses Jonah’s cheek for the thousandth time before finally letting go of him.

“Harry”, he mumbles, giving me a quick peck on the lips, “Thank you, babe and please call me if you need me here.”

I nod. “Will do, we’ll be just fine, Lou.”

He kisses me on the cheek once again and whispers a quick ‘I love you’ before quietly closing the door behind him.

It took him about quarter an hour to say goodbye to us, mainly Jonah, but I get it, they’ve never been apart for more than a night.

“J”, I say and smile, “What are we gonna do now, honey?”
He shrugs, suddenly looking really sad and looks down to the floor.

“Oh, love, what’s wrong?”
He shrugs again and tries to hide the tears forming in his eyes but I notice anyways and pick him up, hugging him tightly. He hides his face in my shoulder and cries quietly as I carry him to the living room.

“I miss my daddy”, he whimpers and gets comfortable in my lap, snuggling into my sweater.

“I know, baby, I do, but we’ll be fine, okay? We’ll call him every night. You’re such a brave boy for staying with me, doing so good.”

He nods and wipes the tears from his eyes. “I never was without him more long.”

“Yeah, you’re such a big boy already, aren’t you? We’ll have a real sleepover with a movie and popcorn, Stacey and Jeffrey with us and lots of cuddles when we go to bed, how does that sound?”

“Good”, he says, nodding contently and smiling up at me through teary eyes, “Super good.”

I grin and ruffle through his hair. He pouts, wiping the tears from his cheeks again and staring at the ground.

“Hey”, I whine, “Why are you sad? Don’t you wanna be with me, huh? I’m so much cooler than dad, do you think I’m that horrible?”

I pretend to be offended and start tickling him until he finally laughs and falls back onto the couch after some time, gasping for air. “Hazzie, don’t, I die!”

“So”, I say, laying down next to him, “You’re not sad to be with me?” I grin and he rolls his eyes.

“No. I am not. You’re my most favourite.”

I smile and feel his hands tangling up in my hair, brushing through my curls carefully.
“But what about your daddy?”

“Yes. He’s my most favourite. My most, most. But then you.”
His tiny hands move through my hair as he smiles up at me, cheeks red from getting tickles, eyes still a little wet.
“Really?”

“Yes. And then come Betty and Milan and then Liam ‘cause he fights with me but right afterwards come Niall and Zayn and also Anne and Robin and Gemma and Tyler. They’re my favourites also. And then come Stacey and Jeffrey. But daddy’s my most most favourite and you’re my most favourite, Hazzie.”

And I can’t stop smiling the whole time he says that, staring at his hands in my hair as if that was something he really needed to concentrate on. There’s warmth spreading in my whole chest as he continues talking and I know it’s love.

“Hazzie?”, he asks after some time, “Am I your most favourite too?”

“I have many most favourites”, I say, “Niall and Zayn and Liam, my mum, stepdad and sister, some other friends and Tyler. They’re all most favourites. But guess what?”