six hours later

“Harry and Louis Tomlinson?”, I hear someone saying and open my eyes. I blink a few times against the bright lights in the hallway and see a nurse smiling down on me. I remove my head from Louis’ shoulder and try to process what happened in the last hours.

“Misses Williams’ contractions are very strong right now. Chances are high the baby will arrive within the next minutes. You can come in shortly after she gives birth. just wanted to inform you.”

“Thank you”, I say, voice raspy, “How late is it?”

“It’s four in the morning.”
I nod and thank her before she disappears again. I look over to Louis who’s still sleeping on one of the uncomfortable chairs in the hallway. I move his head back a little and brush through his hair carefully.

“Honey”, I mumble, kissing all over his cheek, “wake up, please. Baby will be here soon.”

Louis blinks a few times and rubs his eyes, looking at me with a small smile.

“Hi, pretty boy”, he says and tugs a strand of hair behind my ear, “Got a bit of rest?”

I nod slowly and hum. “You too?”

He nods and leans his head against my chest carefully. “What’d the nurse say?”

“Not longer than a few minutes now, if everything goes to plan.”

He takes a deep breath and nods. “Okay, yeah. Baby, I’m so nervous.”

“We’ll be fine. Soon, yeah? We had so much patience, you can make it those next few minutes.”

He nods and wraps his hand around my neck to pull me in for a short kiss.

We wait for a bit longer, texting back and forth with Niall who is too nervous to fall asleep anymore, cuddling on the uncomfortable chairs and trying to distract ourselves.

“Harry and Louis Tomlinson?”, a nurse asks, peeking a head through a door a bit further, “I think you can come in now.”

I look over to Louis because I suddenly feel as if I couldn’t really control my actions anymore. He gets up and nods, taking my hand to help me up.
“Come on, babe.”

It feels so weird, walking down the hallway, feeling the nurse’s eyes on us and Louis’ hand in mine. I feel my hear hammering in my chest. What if it’s not fine? What if Mandy isn’t? What if she suddenly decided against giving the baby away?

We need to sanitize our hands before being allowed to walk into the small room, and I wonder if that’s a normal thing to do, or if the baby isn’t okay, maybe.

Louis presses my hand twice. “It’s okay, baby. Relax.”

I nod and then we enter the small room. All I see is nurses in blue clothing, gathering around a bed. We try to make our way through and it feels a little like that scene in a movie where all the noises go blurry. What if it’s not fine, what if it’s not healthy, what if Mandy isn’t okay?

We finally make it to the bed and then there they are, Mandy looking exhausted but happy, smiling a little and our baby, our little, small baby laying on her chest, crying and breathing. Looking healthy.

“Hi”, I manage to breathe and Mandy smiles softly.

“Hi Harry, hi Louis, so nice to see you. It’s a girl.”

I don’t even know how to process the information and then suddenly, there’s a nurse offering us to take the baby, a small bundle, wrapped in clothes, a soft hat covering half of her head.

“Go ahead, babe”, Louis whispers and signals for the nurse to hand me the baby. I sit down on the edge of the bed, feeling extremely helpless. It’s still crying and I don’t know if that’s normal for a new-born, really. I don’t know anything.

The nurse lays her down in my arms carefully and I use a hand to support her head, my other one resting on her small tummy, while she stops crying slowly, breathing quickly so I can feel her tummy moving under my hand.

When I properly see her the first time, I feel tears running down my cheeks, collecting in the corners of my mouth. Our baby. Our little girl. She has dark hair, light blue eyes wide opened, staring at me as if she loved me a little already, small hand curling around Louis’ finger once he offers it to her.

“She’s healthy?”, is the first thing Louis asks the nurse and she nods.

“Yes, she is. We’ll be running a few more tests, obviously, but so far everything looks very fine.”
I turn to Louis and watch him cry as well, staring at their two hands.

“She’s ours”, I mumble, “Look how beautiful our baby is.”

I try not to actually sob too much, but it’s overwhelming, seeing that little human for the first time, knowing that she’ll grow up with us by her side, knowing we’ll be her dads, she’ll be Jonah’s sister and we’ll love her with everything we have.

“So beautiful”, Louis says, voice cracking. “Noa.” He turns to Mandy. “What do you think of Noa?”,

I don’t know how Mandy responds but then Louis is bending down, his thumb caressing her cheek softly and he’s whispering to her. “Hi Noa, you’re so pretty, baby. I’m Daddy. I love you so much already, hello, baby girl.”

I can’t stop crying and then Louis takes her from me carefully, pressing her to his chest, her eyes still wide opened. “Thank you”, I breathe, turning to Mandy, “Thank you so much.”

She smiles, I’m not sure if happy or sad or just overwhelmed, but I can’t really focus on her anymore because my husband is holding my daughter in his arms for the first time and it might be the most beautiful thing to ever be seen.

“Hi, honey”, I say, trying to stop the tears, “Hi.”

He eyes are so blue, and I’m pretty sure they can still change colour soon, but I can’t stop thinking about how much she looks like Jonah and Louis, like she’s a part of us, already.

We stay like this for some time, trying to take it all in, trying to comprehend the fact that this small human, I have this incredible big amount of love for already, is going to spend the rest of her life with us.

After some time, the nurses determine its time to try and feed her, so we walk out of the room to give Mandy some privacy and most importantly, some time to process. It has to be overwhelming for her too.

Once we’re outside, I pull Louis in for a hug as fast as possible, kissing him for a few seconds. “We’re officially parents of a girl now. Fuck, baby, we did it. I mean, basically she did it, but still.”

I chuckle and there’s tears running down both our cheeks again and I can’t stop smiling and I’m really sure Louis can hear my heart hammering in my chest when he presses his head against it.
“Should we call Jonah?”

I nod quickly. “Yeah. Call him, please. Want him to meet his baby sister.”

~~~

Jonah meeting Noa in the next chapter hihi

i think this story will be completely over soon, there might be about five chapters more after this