12

Ava's POV xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We slowly walk up to my room. His hand never leaving from around my waist. I didn't want Mason to see me like this. The silence is killing me. I guess he is feeling the same way cause he turns to look at me just as we reach the top of the stairs.

"How long have you struggled with anxiety?" He carefully asked trying not to sound judgmental.

"I was diagnosed when I was thirteen. Class project gone wrong. Had a panic attack in front of everyone and burst into tears, I was terrified" Mason didn't speak after that. He just stared at the floor in deep thought. Well if he was going to know my secrets he was going to have to know what comes with them too. I clear my throat to get his attention.

"I have days where I cant even leave my room because I need to stay away from people. I don't want to go to parties or gatherings to meet new people because I can barley find the energy to text my family. I could not talk to them for weeks at a time just because I feel like a burden. If to many people are around me I start to shake. If I have to talk in front of a large group I start to stutter. Just another reason why I wont be a good luna, or a decent queen." I reach out to hold his hands in mine. "I don't want to reject you, I want to be with you but I'm not going to take you down with me. I am trying to do what's best for everyone right now even if its not what's best for me." I try to smile at him but my face wouldn't move so I just turned to walk into my room. Mason didn't stop me.

Once I got there I whipped out my phone and texted Bella to meet me in my room. We exchanged numbers this morning when we were waiting for our interviews. Happy she reminded me of it cause I really needed a friend right now. While I wait for her to get here I sit in front of the vanity mirror and put a fresh coat of finger nail polish on my nails. I didn't even notice I bit them all off. I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in" Im to tired to get up and open the door even though I've done nothing all day. Bella strolls in a sympathetic look on her face.

"You don't have to tell me anything you're not comfortable with."she starts off but I just nod my head.

"No I need to talk to someone about this, I need to get it all out." I take a deep breath and spill everything to her. It didn't take long considering everything happened within a twenty four hour time span. After I was done she didn't say a word trying to take everything in. She moved her way onto my bed at some point during my confessional, she held onto one of the pillows staring deeply into the light pink comforter.

"I honestly think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Mason was right anything you need to know they will teach you. I doubt any of the girls here already know how to take care of a whole country, including Ashley. And as for the anxiety thing, I think it's something that makes you more relatable. A lot of people struggle with it and I'm sure they would like to see someone like them strive in social setting. It gives them hope. Plus it can be worked on. Don't you remember when you fist got here and had to answer the interviewers question about the prince not choosing the lat few girl? You didn't freeze up or stutter. Things like that just need time to get used to." She talked slowly making sure whatever she was saying was thought through.

"Well thats the other thing, he didn't choose me I just so happen to be here. I mean he gave up looking for me." I sighed feeling hurt and abandoned.

"Oh no don't even start a pity party for that. You started to have a crush on Mr. knight and shining armor the first moment you saw him. Did you forget you also had a mate out there waiting for you? And you continued to see him and be all flirty with him AFTER you knew who your mate was. I mean the prince hasn't even decided who his fist date is yet. He was suppose to do this morning, and my guess is he's still waiting for you." She gave me a pointed look and I knew she was right about everything.

"Ugh I just don't understand how im suppose to run whole country with someone I just met." I grab a cookie that was sitting on my dresser from the night before and start to nibble on it.

"Then get to know him, and if you still don't think you're up for it, reject him and give your spot to someone who wants it." My jaw drops to the floor at her bluntness. She rolled her eyes getting off my bed and heading to the door.

"Listen there's only two reasons why you were chosen to be his mate. Either you're strong enough to help him, or he's weak enough to need you. And I wouldn't go around calling him weak" With that she left my room leaving me wondering if she was right. Was I strong enough to help him? I needed to clear my head, I'm going to sleep. Ill be up before dinner.

I wake up to a buzzing on my phone. I groan as I sit up looking at the time. Its fifteen minutes before dinner. I get up brush through my hair and head to the door. Damian is already there when I open the door. The walk down to the dinning from was silent, i ha a slight head ache and it seemed like Damian had something on his mind. He opens the door for me and I walk in. I take my seat beside Bella and start to sip on my water.

"I was hoping I would see you tonight, you didn't have breakfast or lunch I thought you were avoiding me." I glance over to see Mason has taken his seat. He nodded his head to the servers and they bow their heads. Then they start moving around setting a salad down on each gold in crusted plates.

"I was" I said simply picking up my fork to eat.

"Why is that, Im the perfect mate." He said with a smile on his face.

"You're just some guy to me." The servers come and fill up our cups as I finish my salad. My head my pounding.

"Ouch some guy, and here I was expecting to be called 'The love of your life' Thats alright I'm willing to work for my titles." He puts his hand on his heart faking a wound making me laugh a bit.

"Wow aren't I lucky, I get a hard worker and a alpha." The servers take our salad plates away and replace them with a steak dinner. With a side of mashed potatoes and green beans.

"Ah don't forget build like a Greek god and rich." He flex's his muscles and I hear gasps. I look over to see all the girls gawking at him. Trying not to let my anger show i let out a breathy sigh.

"Thank goodness we have you here  to remind us." I say as I start to eat. He went to answer, but another girl interrupted us asking when the ball was going to be. The rest of dinner me and mason did talk to each other, he kept the girls attention while me and Bella talked about dress shopping for the ball. After dinner I went to bed trying to get over the headache that was Mason Maxwell.