19

Ava's POV ×××××××

"Are we going to sit here in awkward silence or are we going to talk about you kissing another guy?" Me and Mason have been sitting my hospital room for at least twenty minutes not saying anything.

"I think theres better things to talk about, like how long I'm going to be stuck in this bed." I cross my arms over my chest and immediately regret it when I feel an excruciating pain radiate from my hip. Mason sighs.

"Your right hip needed some stitches, you had a few broken ribs and a sprained ankle. We were all pretty impressed by the way you hid your smell. It took longer to find you because of it, people usually go for water. We definitely weren't expecting to find you at the bottom of a cliff. Anyway, The doctor gave you pain meds and with your wold healing you should be good to go to the ball in two days." If the ball is in two days that earns I've been at the castle for thirteen days. I lean my head back on my pillow and close my eyes. There was a moment of silence.

"I've been at the castle for thirteen days and I've only seen you a couple of times. We really know nothing about each other." It hurts knowing if this was in normal circumstances we would've already completed the mate bond and be happy together. It's all my fault that we aren't.

"Well, lets it in perspective. Thirteen days, minus three for my trip. that equals ten. Minus another two when I had pack business to deal with, that's eight. I saw you the first and second day so that's Plus the gardens and you yelling at me over a TV show brings it down to four. So four days when I could've seen you but didn't. I think we've seen each other more than you think we have." He leans back in his chair putting his head down.

"You've seen other girls too." I couldn't help but think of all the time he and Ashley have been together. He sat there in silence. "You've been with Ashley and I've been with Damian so it crosses out. PEMDAS." I state. He slowly looks up at me.

"Did you seriously just use a math formula to decide if we have the right to be mad at each other?" Well, when he says it like that it sounds stupid. "Here ill make you a deal. You tell me about Damian and I tell you about Ashley. Seems pretty fair to me."
I think about it and it does sound pretty fair. I nod my head in agreement.

"Ok, I first met Damian when he was assigned to be my security guard. There was something about him that made my heart stop. This was before I met you by the way. He said I was pretty and told me the things I wanted to hear. Then I found out you were my mate and I freaked out. That's a lot of responsibility for someone who has no rank and no idea. I was scared id fail you and everyone would hate me. So I ran, I thought it was me trying to protect everyone but I was just being a coward" I took a deep breath and he nodded reassuring me.

"So you kept that I was your mate a secret?" He asked a look of hurt flashed in his eyes.

"No I immediately told Damian you were my mate, and he didn't care. He said he would stay with me if it didn't work out between us and that gave me comfort. He made me cookies and stayed with me that night and we talked about anything and everything. Then that stupid game of truth and dare happened, and we ended up kissing. As soon as it happened I knew I made a mistake. I decided I was going to put my fear aside and try to become your luna. I chose you so I texted Damian to stop whatever was going on between us, but you showed up before he did. He overheard everything and I didn't get the chance to explain that it was never going to be him. I would just settle for him if I had to. And I know that makes me a terrible person, but id rather he knows that than think I truly chose him over you." I finished looking down at my hands. Mason swallowed hard.

"So why does he care for you so much to fight for you? You guys barely know each other" I shrugged my shoulders.

"That's something you're going to have to ask him." He sighs and takes a moment to process all the information. He takes a deep breath in.

"I met Ashely basically when I was born. We've done everything together. When we turned eighteen and realized we weren't each other's mate we were upset. Although we should have known, life doesn't happen that way. She's the only one I feel comfortable with, so when I was told I had to go on dates and the one person I wanted to go with was thinking of rejecting me. So It left me with one option. My best friend." I nodded my head. It made sense to stay around the people you're comfortable with. There was still one question burning in my mind.

"So, you guys have known each other for a long time. Have you guys ever been intimate?" I glanced up meeting his eyes and quickly looked down again. He cleared his throat.

"We've held hands and kissed a few times, but nothing more than that. I'm embarrassed to say I've been busy running a country so I'm a little inexperienced in that department." My heart fell while there were butterflies in my stomach. He got up from the couch and started typing on his phone. "I'm going to order you dinner, you haven't eaten in a while and you need the food."

"I'm not hungry," just thinking of food makes me want to throw up.

"Princess, you have to eat" He starts walking toward me. He lifts his hand and gently caressed my cheek before leaning in ti kiss the top of my head. "I'm so sorry this happened to you. I promise I won't let you out of my sight from now on."

"I'm not that fragile, it would've happened to anyone who was running that late at night," I assured him. There was a slight frown on his lips and it tugged at my heart. I found myself slowly leaning in and placing a tiny kiss on his mouth. He puts his hand on my neck and gently pulls me closer to him deepening the kiss. My arms found their way across his neck as I glued my fingers in his hair. The kisses became hard and we pressed against each other just to be closer. Then the door opens again. We jump apart as I'm cursing wishing someone had put a do not disturb sign up.

"I can't believe the future queen of this country is in a hospital bed and she doesn't have anything to eat. Mason Maxwell, if this is how you treat your mate no wonder she was going to reject you." She was an older woman with stunning brown eyes and beautiful silver hair that fell just above her shoulders. She was tall and slim, her arms were crossed as she gave Mason a pointed look.

"Good to see you too mom." My mouth fell open and my eyes widened. I tried to fix my hair and started wishing I had brushed my teeth earlier. This was not how I wanted o met his mother.