a leaf in the wind

KHIONE

"Wow! Nice adjustment!"

"Not bad," Mako admitted, leaning moodily against the stairs. Khione sat on the bench, one leg hooked over the other. They were back in the old gym, Bolin teaching Korra some basic movements.

"What's it take to impress this guy," Korra asked helplessly.

"More than it takes to impress me, apparently," Khione offered dryly, and Korra flashed her a grin. "Good job Korra," She added, giving her a thumbs up, like an afterthought.

"Thanks, Khione"

"You know what? It's getting late. You three kids have fun. Nice to meet you, Avatar Korra. And you, Khione."

"Yeah, been a real pleasure." Korra replied sarcastically. Khione didn't bother with an answer.

"See you upstairs bro." Mako drawled, running a hand through his hair.

"Upstairs? You guys live here?" Korra asks, turning back to Bolin.

"Yep, in the attic. It's nothing fancy, but we have some great views." Bolin explained optimistically. Khione, to her horror, found herself softening a little towards him.

"So, back to bending. Why don't you practice that combo one more time."

...

"Tell me one more time. How many times has she tried this?"

Khione turned to Tenzin, unable to watch as Korra, once again, tried to brute force her way through the exercise.

"Did you tell her that you're not meant to run into the panels?" She added dryly as Korra slammed into another panel, letting out a frustrated yell. Tenzin sighed, drooping. He didn't answer however, as at that moment, a burst of fire swirled from the panels. Fire enveloped several of the panels, rendering them into ash. Khione morphed her expression back into apathetic disinterest, watching as Korra stood amongst the wreckage, breathing heavily.

"That was a 2000 year old historical treasure. What- What is wrong with you!" Tenzin yelled disbelievingly.

Korra began arguing back, gesturing angrily.

"Maybe the reason I haven't learnt airbending yet is because you're a terrible teacher!" She yelled finally, pointing her finger accusingly at him.

She stormed off, as Tenzin scowled. "Yeah, you're a terrible teacher Daddy." Meelo repeated, before rushing in to kick at the still smouldering doors.

Tenzin looked torn, and started towards the direction Korra had left.

"Let me talk to her," Khione stopped Tenzin with her cane, her expression blank.

"You'll only make this worse."

Tenzin winced.

"You never mince words, do you," He sighed, waving his hand. "Go."

"Well that was a disaster," Khione intoned, having finally caught up to Korra. She was sitting on the edge of a stone face, clearly lost in thought.

"Yeah, it was, wasn't it," She sighed, lying down to face the sky. Khione said nothing, gingerly setting down her cane and sitting beside Korra. It was a beautiful day, the endless blue sky devoid of clouds, sunlight spilling through the trees. It touched Korra's skin and turned it gold.

"I just can't believe Tenzin! I mean, the nerve to tell me I'm not listening!" She sat up again, waving her hands around in her anger. Khione gave her a pointed look.