invasion of the north

KHIONE

Dawn in the Southern Water Tribe was a sight to see.

The rising sun bathed everything in a golden light, illuminating the snow-capped roofs. It was like a mirage, a swirling pearlescent sight. The exhausted but triumphant group reached a cliff, overlooking the Southern port.

Khione's eyes narrowed as fleets of Northern Water Tribe ships sailed into the harbour, docking at the ports.

"What is this?" Khione hissed, unease numb in her veins as she slid off Naga.

Unalaq ignored her, his eyes fixated on the harbour, his expression unreadable.

"What are all your Northern troops doing here?" Korra asked, looking confused.

"Opening the Spirit Portal was only the first step in getting the Southern Water Tribe back on its righteous path. There's more difficult work to be done before our two tribes are truly united." Unalaq replied calmly, looking at Korra, who looked like she wanted to believe him.

Khione, however, looked at him coldly.

"It looks awfully like an invasion, Unalaq. I highly doubt the Southerners will appreciate your efforts," She said flatly.

Unalaq glanced at her cooly, before answering: "People rarely appreciate those who are merely trying to help."

Khione cocked her head. "And is that what this is? Trying to help?"

"Dear Khione, I expected you to understand, as a Northerner like myself. We are spiritually superior to the South. How are we supposed to help rebuild traditions if we are not here to do it ourselves?"

'Don't try to ingratiate yourself with me," Khione said icily, turning to the city below.

...

Khione paced back and forth in her study, cane tapping on the ground, rubbing the bridge of her nose in frustration. More and more news of the Northern troops had reached her; imposing rigid orders on all Southerners, barricading the harbour with walls of ice, treating civilians with violence...

Korra watched her, vaguely amused as she sprawled against Khione's chair.

At last, Khione turned to her, running a hand through her hair absentmindedly.

"Korra, the North is imposing more and more on the Southerners. The tension between the tribes is becoming... unbearable. Are you sure Unalaq is trying to do the right thing?"

Korra's easy attitude slipped from her face, as she stood, defensive.

"Of course it is. We're finally uniting the tribe together. I don't understand, why aren't you more excited for this? For me? I'm finally doing what the Avatar's supposed to do; bringing balance to the nations!"

Khione looked indifferent.

"Of course I'm happy for you. But the North and South have been divided for so long, they aren't one tribe, they are two. It will take much more than a show of force and a self-proclaimed chief to unit us."

"Oh, well aren't you so smart, you know exactly what to do, and what I'm doing wrong," Korra snapped defensively. "Whatever. I'm going to the meeting."

Korra pulled her coat over her head and opened the door, slamming it hard as she left.

Khione sighed, before bending down and carefully putting on her knee brace.

Korra's good mood hadn't lasted long, Khione noticed, as she slipped into Korra's parents house. Khione made her way to the back, leaning against one of the walls. Korra was sitting beside her parents in front of the crowd gathered. She gazed at the sea of frustrated faces, surprise briefly lightning up her features at the sight of Khione.