in the spirit world

KHIONE

When Khione stepped into the portal, everything turned a beautiful pale blue, before she walked out, and into the Spirit world. A twisted barren tree sat in the middle of a jagged rocky field, dark shapes flitting around it.

Vaatu's prison.

An overwhelming sensation of inferiority crept into Khione as she watched darkness swirl within the hollow of the old tree.

Dark spirits hurtled towards them as Korra shouted, "Tenzin, go find Jinora!"

Tenzin, Kya and Bumi split off, running towards the spirit forest.

Korra took a deep breath, before her eyes began to glow. Her hair rose as she entered the Avatar state, before she sent a huge gust of air at Unalaq, who rode atop one of the spirits.

Unalaq jumped as the blast of air knocked down the spirit. His arm lifted, water from a nearby source rising. The water froze, acting as a ramp as Unalaq slid down on it, gracefully sending blasts of water in their direction. Khione stepped forward, shielding Mako and Bolin before she lashed out, willing the water into thin shards of ice.

Bolin hurled boulders at Unalaq, trying to keep him away from the portal, as Mako threw blasts of fire. Unalaq easily deflected them, streaming water around him in steady blasts.

Bolin boosted Mako into the air on a block of raw stone, as he attempted to send a huge blast of fire at Unalaq.

Khione sent jets of water at Unalaq, who barely avoided them before Bolin moved a chunk of stone towards Unalaq, forcing Khione out of the way.

A huge blast of water crashed against Bolin's rock, forcing it to crack, sending sharp debris everywhere.

"You're running out of time, Raava. I know you can feel it," A low, reverberating voice taunted, sending shivers down Khione's spine.

Unalaq turned her attention to Khione, sending blasts of water at her, which she all avoided easily, letting them swirl around her before throwing back as spears of ice. Unalaq jumped out of the way, before nimbly sending a huge blast of water at her. She stood her ground, her outstretched palm forcing the water to explode around her in an arc before she slashed her arm back, willing the water into a deadly blade.

Above them, the last sliver of light thinned as Korra continued to close the portal, trapping the swirling light in a dome, when bright light exploded from it, bathing the world in white for a moment.

The two spirit portals began to crackle, electricity forming as they curved, meeting above the barren tree. Khione's eyes widened as the connected portals glowed gold, before the beautiful blue sky faded to a malevolent purple. Electricity sparked faster, hitting the tree. An ominous red glow began to shine from the centre of the tree before everything faded to black.

Then light exploded back, throwing the world in vivid colours as a huge black spirit emerged from the tree, intricate red designs on its body. It flew closer to them, a discordant, terrifying laugh escaping from it.

Spirits, its laugh. It was chaos incarnate, the serrated sound of wars and violence and danger. Khione's heart seized despite her best effort to remain calm, and all of her instincts screamed at her to run. This ancient power could destroy her with the barest thought.

Harmonic Convergence had come, and Vaatu was free.

Strangely, the first thing Khione did was laugh. The cold, jagged sound of knives scraping.

"Just our luck," She said flatly, bitterness tinging her voice.

"Raava, nothing could stop this moment. Harmonic Convergence is upon us again," Vaatu's disembodied voice taunted.