a much needed break

KHIONE

"Guys, great news. You don't have to go back to the streets. I talked to Tenzin and made all the arrangements. You can come live on Air Temple Island with Khione and I," Korra beamed, as she and Khione poked their heads into the attic where Mako and Bolin resided. 

"Oh, well, we'd love to but-" Mako began, scratching his head awkwardly.

"Asami already invited us to live in her giant mansion!"

Korra's happy expression immediately melted away.

"From now on, it's gonna be the lap of luxury for us." Bolin sighed dreamily.

"Oh hey Khione, Korra," Asami called, climbing down from the loft, holding Pabu.

"I was hoping you two would stop by."

"We were actually just leaving," Korra said rudely.

"Hi Asami," Khione said, giving her a small wave.

"So, see you guys around, sometime."

"Why not tomorrow? I'd love to have you come visit the estate." Asami suggested.

"I don't know, I have some Avatar stuff to do," Korra trailed unconvincingly.

"How about you, Khione?" Asami turned to Khione.

She shrugged nonchalantly.

"Sure." 

Korra shot her a look, and Khione swatted her head, giving her a pointed look.

Bolin held Pabu up to his face, speaking in a high pitched voice, pretending to be the ferret.

"Come on Korra. We all deserve a little rest and relaxation after all this craziness!"

Korra chuckled, relenting.

"Alright, I'll come."

...

Khione was sprawled out on Asami's silken bed, waiting for her to change into a swimsuit. The Sato mansion was beautiful, white stone walls and elaborate golden trims. Khione had seen fancy, living with her father, but this was a whole new level. She'd come earlier than Korra, who'd stayed behind to practice her airbending with Tenzin and grudgingly promised to come afterwards.

Khione knew that Korra disliked Asami purely because she was dating Mako, which, in Khione's opinion, was silly. Asami was girly, (something Korra seemed violently opposed to being) she wore makeup and had insisted on painting Khione's nails pale blue, but Khione honestly enjoyed being around her. 

She was sweet, and thoughtful.

"You can borrow one of my swimsuits if you want," Asami offered, appearing from her closet, wearing a black and white swimsuit. She tossed her dark hair, and smiled.

"No thanks," Khione murmured, her fingers absentmindedly stroking the silky pillows.

"Alright then, let's head down."

Asami's indoor pool was lavishly decorated, with greenery and even a small waterfall at the far edge. Bolin and Mako had already gotten into the pool, Bolin floating on his back with Pabu on his stomach.

"Hey guys," Asami greeted as they walked in, walking over to sit by the edge. Khione reclined on one of the lounges by the pool, shifting to get comfortable. 

"Hey, you," Mako flirted back, walking over to kiss her cheek.

Khione was glad to see Mako treating Asami kindly, especially after Asami had confessed in her room that he was the first boy she'd liked.