dark spirits

KHIONE

Khione stirred in her sleep as Naga howled outside Korra's house. She'd basically begged Khione to sleep over, saying that it would be 'fun'. Korra had practically fallen asleep immediately, leaning beside Naga. It had taken Korra a little longer, but at last, she'd relaxed enough to close her eyes from her couch.

Khione sat up, and slipped on her jacket before poking her head outside the house. 

"Korra?" She called, yawning.

"What's going on?" Bolin and Mako emerged from their tents, stretching blearily.

A dark, swirling shape appeared in the distance, framed against the snow.

"What is that?"

Khione's eyebrows shot up in surprise as glowing yellow eyes blinked into existence. It trembled for a moment, before letting out an unearthly screech and running straight at Korra in jagged movements.

Khione was out in the cold before she could think. She'd left her brace beside the couch, and now she discarded her cane on the floor of the house. It would be useless against the deep snow. She watched as it raced up the cliff with a disjointed grace, flinging out a limb against Korra, sending her flying backwards into the snow.

Khione's heart plummeted into the pit of her stomach.

"That's a dark spirit," She snapped back her stupor, watching in horror as the spirit wrapped its hands around Korra, leaning forward. It opened its jagged mouth, a dark black hole. Khione started forward as Mako and Bolin ran up beside her, sending an onslaught of fire and stone at it. The dark spirit dodged their attacks, racing towards them and slamming them away with it's tail.

"Stop provoking it!" Khione dived out of the way, falling into the cold, biting snow.

"It's a spirit, it must be angry for some-" She shut her mouth, rolling out of the way as the spirit continued to attack her. Korra ran towards them, hurling arcing lines of fire at it.

She tugged Khione to her feet, and they stood in the snow with their backs to each other.

Khione's eyes narrowed, barely making out the dark spirit as if barreled forward. Instantly, she swept her hand up, and huge spires of ice rumbled from the ground, cutting off its path.

"Korra!" Tonraq called, riding a ramp of ice around the spirit and calling up huge chunks of ice from the ground, sealing it in a cage.

The ice holding the spirit splintered, before huge tentacles shot up, one grabbing onto Tonraq and throwing him against Korra's house. Another tentacle caught Korra, who yelped as it threw her as well. Khione threw herself out of the way, ignoring the twinge of pain in her leg as she got up, her arms arcing above her in a grand gesture. An ice dome formed around her, protecting her from the spirit's attacks.

Khione gaped as the spirit stilled in its cage for a moment, before breaking through the ice easily.

"Spirit, why are you angry? What have we done to offend you?" Tenzin tried to reason with the spirit, only to be violently thrown sideways with the swipe of its limb.

Khione melted away the ice, before instantly regretting it. The spirit curled a tentacle around her leg, causing her to cry out in pain, before throwing her off the cliff, and into the snow below. Khione gasped, pain slamming into her body as she tried to breathe.

Korra's eyes began to glow as the spirit lunged for them, even more enraged. Khione stumbled out from the snow towards Korra as she rose in the air, dodging the spirit's attack. The spirit, unable to stop itself, ploughed into the festival stalls.