the morning is evil

KHIONE

"What's the big idea with making me train this early in the morning? The morning is evil." Korra hissed, throwing the weighted ball to Bolin.

"We're the rookies, so we get the worst time slot in the gym." Bolin explained, before throwing the ball back to Mako.

"And you're the rookiest of us all. We gotta get you up to speed if we wanna survive the tournament. So deal with it." Mako threw the ball at Korra. Hard.

Khione yawned, fluttering a hand over her mouth, before turning another page in her book. Korra had found her awake at this ungodly hour, and after begging and pleading, Khione had finally agreed to come along.

"You deal with it!" Korra shot back, before throwing the ball back at Mako, knocking him to the ground. Korra shared a small smile with Khione.

"There are my little hardworking street urchins." A man wearing neat, fancy clothes entered the gym, smiling.

"It's an honour to finally meet you, Avatar. I'm Butahka, I run this whole pro-bending shubang. Here are your winnings from the last match." He said, handing a wad of cash over to Mako's eager hands.

"Uh uh, not so fast, so I'll be taking that, for the Avatar's new gear, gym and equipment rentals from the last month, rent from the apartment, and a personal loan on groceries."

Butahka took all the cash from Mako, who shot his brother a glare.

"What? I'm a growing boy," Bolin defended, patting his stomach.

Butahka's eyes swept across the gym, landing on Khione. His eyes narrowed in thought.

"Have we met before? You look... familiar."
Khione's blood froze, but she maintained her blank expression, giving him a cool shrug.

"I've never met you in my life," She replied icily.

Butahka shrugged, but gave her one last glance before returning his attention to the two brothers.

"Oh, and one more thing. The Fire Ferrets need to ante up 30 thousand yuans for the championship pot."

Bolin's eyes widened, nearly popping out of his head. "30 thousand yuans!"

"Sorry kids." Butahka patted Mako on the shoulder before leaving.

Bolin turned Korra, hope alight in his eyes. "You don't happen to have a secret Avatar bank that's overflowing with gold, do you?"

"I got nothing." Korra sighed, emptying her pockets. "I've never really needed money. I've always had people taking care of me."

"I wouldn't say you have nothing then." He said scathingly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean-"

"No, it's okay. Ever since we lost our parents, we've been on our own." Bolin said softly.

Khione stood up, tucking her book back into her bag and walking over to them.

"So anyways, how are we going to come up with the money," Mako interjected gruffly.

Khione hesitated, eyes darting to her cane before looking at Korra.

"I might be able to give a couple thousand yuans, if I pull some strings-"

"You got enough money to just give us a couple thousand yuans?" Mako broke her off, his eyes narrowed. Khione gave him a withering glare.

"I said, I might be able to pull some strings to get you the money."

Truthfully, Khione hated the idea of asking for money from her father, but he was well connected, and if she played her cards right, she might be able to do this for them.

"You'd do that for us?" Korra asked, a new kind of appreciation dawning on her face.

"Well, I'd rather not, but I don't see any other options for you," Khione admitted.

"Forget it, we don't want your pity money," Mako slashed his hand down.

"Who said we! We could really use it, please Khione?" Bolin squeaked, glancing at his brother.

"No," Mako said firmly. "I'll figure something out. I always do."

Khione sighed, and both Korra and Bolin wilted.

"Is your brother always an idiot?" Khione intoned.

...

For the first time in ages, Khione felt truly content, sitting at the base of the rock with an open book in her lap. The setting sun had cast beautiful colours across the bay, lighting it in brilliant oranges and yellows. Now, it was dark, the courtyard illuminated by softly lit lanterns that hung above her.
Khione peered over the top of her book, where Korra moved through the spinning panels, her movements flowing and graceful. Ikki and Jinora stood by, calling out reminders and encouragement.

"Ooh, he's cute." Jinora said suddenly. "Korra, is that the handsome firebender boy that drives you crazy?"

Khione glanced up to see Mako walking up the stairs, a distant expression on his face.

"Does he drive you crazy in a bad way, or does he drive you crazy like you like him?" Ikki teased.

"I can't believe you like him," Khione said disgustedly, leaning on her cane for support. They'd taken the ferry back after practice, relishing in the salty spray of the sea, and the sun shining above.

"Okay, I do not like him," Korra protested lamely, blushing red.

Khione gave her a pointed look, making a noncommittal noise.

"What do you see in him?" She asked curiously, leaning in closer. "Do tell."

"I mean... you see the appeal, right?" Korra asked weakly, almost desperately. She was met with Khione's blank, judging expression.

She reached out, and patted Korra's cheek.

"Sure, Korra."

"Have you seen Bolin?"

Khione snapped out her thoughts, standing up and stretching out her leg, before walking over to Korra and Mako.

"Nice to see you too. And no, we haven't seen him since practice. Think something's wrong?"

Mako sighed, shaking his head.

"I don't know. Bolin had a knack for getting into stupid situations. See you later."
"Wait! I could-uh- I mean we could help you look for him?" Korra offered.

Khione gave Korra a scathing look, which she returned with pleading puppy eyes. Khione sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Mako. Let us help you," Khione said firmly, and she found herself meaning it. She certainly didn't want to be stuck with Mako and Korra, but she did want to find Bolin. He was like a pathetically innocent, sad puppy. If she didn't try to help find him, it would be like ditching him on the side of the road.

"We can take Naga."

"Who's Naga?" Mako asked, relenting.

Korra smirked, placing her hands at her hips.

"My best friend, and a great tracker."