where it hurts most

KHIONE

Khione was almost insulted at how easy it was for them to slip past the roving mecha-suits and equalist patrols in their disguises. She stood by Korra's side as they watched from the small balcony they'd found.

Amon ascended to the platform, spotlights sweeping around him. Khione stared at the arena, decorated with huge banners embroidered with Equalist writings and a huge backboard with Amon's mask on it.

"Thank you all, for joining me at this historic occasion," His voice rang, as his followers cheered and screamed for him.

Khione clenched her fists, her nails digging into her palms. This was her uncle. The thought sickened her to the core. Korra glanced at her, before slipping her hand into Khione's, squeezing it comfortingly for a brief moment.

"When I was a boy, a firebender struck down my entire family, and left me scarred. That tragic event began my quest to equalize the world," Amon began to the enraptured crowd, his hands clasped behind his back.

"That's a lie, Amon," Korra yelled, before ripping off her mask, Khione and Mako following after.

"Or should I call you Noatak."

Amon stayed silent for a moment, his composure calm, before he stepped forward.

"Everyone calm down. We have nothing to fear from the Avatar. Let's hear what she has to say," Amon drawled, his voice low and calculating.

"Amon has been lying to you. The spirits didn't give him the power to take peoples' bending away, he uses bloodbending to do it. Amon is a waterbender!" Korra pointed an accusing finger in his direction, causing the crowd to gasp in outrage and disbelief.

"You're desperate, Avatar. Making up stories about me is a pathetic last resort."

"Your family wasn't killed by a firebender. His father was Yakone, and his brother is Councilman Tarrlok."

Amon laughed, bringing his hands to his mask. "An amusing tale, but I will show you the truth," He unclasped the mask, removing it from his face.

Khione blinked indifferently as Amon looked up, revealing grotesque, horrible burns that marred most of his face. The crowd began to cry out, looking in horror at the disfigured face of their leader.

"This is what a firebender did to me!" He snarled, pointing a finger at his ruined face, as the crowd began to yell at Korra, turning their hateful words against the benders on the balcony.

"What?" Korra exclaimed, confusion flashing across her face.

"A precaution," Khione murmured, understanding sinking in her stomach, her hands hovering across the slit in her clothes where she had hid the flask. "In case anyone found out, or if someone managed to remove the mask in public, he'd need to sell his story."

"They don't believe me."

Korra looked hurt as Mako and Khione slowly backed towards the edge of the balcony.

"We said we had to. Now let's get out of here," Mako raised his fists as equalists slowly circled them from the rooftops above, twirling their bolas. 

"I wouldn't leave yet, Avatar," Amon warned, his voice smug. "You'll miss the main event."

They turned around as another part of the platform rose.

Khione's blood froze, before cold fury bloomed in her at the sight of Tenzin and his children, tied up and gagged.

"No, they got away," Korra whispered helplessly. "We saw them get away!"

Khione stepped towards the balcony.