into the everstorm

Khione

Khione didn't know what to think of Unalaq. On one hand, he seemed genuine about wanting to help Korra train, and learn more about the spiritual side of being the Avatar. Besides, it was clear Korra was tired of learning from Tenzin. 

On the other hand, she didn't know what it was about Unalaq exactly, but there was something about him that made her uneasy. He reminded her of dark treacherous waters, creatures swimming in the depths unseen by those on the surface. Whatever it was, Khione would have to keep an eye out for him.

"Khione?"

Khione blinked, looking up. She and Katara were sitting in her house, cross legged on the floor. In front of her was a small potted plant, thick vines plump and green. A similar plant sat near Katara, who faced her.

"Sorry Katara. I was just thinking..." She apologised monotonously. Katara gave her a kind smile.

"What's on your mind?"
Khione hesitated, then sighed, her eyes lingering on her plant.

"Nothing. Sorry, let's get back to the lesson."
Katara pursed her lips. They both knew she was lying, but she said nothing. That was something else Khione loved about Katara. Anyone else would've prodded her for answers, but Katara never pushed. 

"Plantbending isn't so hard to master, once you get the feel of the plants. There is water in the vines," Katara closed her eyes, hands drifting around one of the plants as the vines began to move - graceful, languid movements - matching the way Katara's hands moved.

Khione's hands drifted, focused on her own plant. It twitched slightly, the tip lifting for a moment before settling back into its position. Khione's hands fell, disappointment clear on her face.

"Don't worry Khione, all you have to do is keep practicing," Katara consoled her.

"I've never not been good at bending," Khione admitted flatly. It was the truth, no matter how egotistical it seemed.

"I've already said it, but your movements are mirrored in the water you bend, and here, the vines themselves. The vines are not something for you to control by force. Feel the water in the vines, and be patient. And loosen up."

Khione forced herself to relax, closing her eyes in concentration. She took a deep breath, nodding, and cupped her hands close to her plant once more, concentrating harder. The vines began to shift - slowly - as Khione raised her right hand in a soft twisting motion, a small smile on her face as the vines moved up, coiling slightly.

"Khione!" The door slammed open, and Khione slowly turned to see Korra, out of breath.

"Korra," She greeted neutrally.

Katara cleared her throat, smiling in amusement at Korra's windswept expression.

"Oh! Hey Katara! Sorry for interrupting, but can I borrow Khione?"

"Korra? What's wrong?" Khione sighed.

"Can you come with me to the South Pole?"

Khione looked at her strangely.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, right. Unalaq's taking me to the South Pole to learn spiritual stuff. Do you want to come?" Korra said, obviously excited.

Khione glanced at Katara, who nodded.

Katara got up, ushering Khione to the door.

"I have a feeling she'll need you by her side," Katara whispered, winking. Khione gave her a small smile.