sent by the spirits

KHIONE

It took a lot of things to unnerve Khione. She'd gone through terrible things, and it had left her scarred and bitter.

Amon shouldn't have been someone she feared. Maybe it was her brain, trying to rationalise the way goosebumps had risen on the back of her neck, and the ill feeling in the bottom of her gut, but she was unnerved by Amon. More precisely, she was unnerved by how easily he'd captivated the audience with his sob story.

She glanced around her, at the enraptured faces all around her, all eagerly pressed forward, hanging off his every word. He'd taken their frustrations and anger, and he'd twisted it into loyalty for his cause.

"That is why the spirits have chosen me to usher in a new era of balance. They have granted me a power, that will make equality a reality," Amon continued, his voice reverent.

"The power to take a person's bending away. Permanently."

The entire crowd erupted in disbelieving gasps as Khione turned to Korra and Mako, a cold expression on her face.

"That's not possible! There's no way, right?" Korra whispered, unable to hide the fear in her eyes. Khione felt genuinely bad for her; she was surrounded by hundreds of people who hated her for who she was born to be.

"This guy is insane." Mako whispered back.

"Now... For a demonstration." Amon continued, gesturing.

"Please welcome Lightning Bolt Zolt, Leader of the Triple Threat Triad, and one of the most notorious criminals in Republic City."

More jeering rippled through the crowd, as five tied up hostages were brought onto the stage and forced to their knees.

"Bolin," Khione muttered grimly, as Korra started forward.

"Wait! We can't fight them all. We need to be smart about this." Mako hissed, looking around.

"Then come up with a game plan, team captain." Korra muttered impatiently.

"Zolt has amassed a fortune by extorting and abusing non-benders. But his reign of terror is about to come to an end. Now, in the interest of fairness, I will give Zolt the chance to fight to keep his bending."

"You're gonna regret doing that, pal." Zolt smirked, before sending a blast of fire at Amon.

Amon advanced, easily darted past every blast Zolt sent his way.

Zolt produced lightning, directing it at Amon, who grabbed his arm, before forcing Zolt to his knees. The lightning pouring from Zolt's fingers moved up, destroying parts of the ceiling as Amon placed one hand on Zolt's neck, the other moving to his forehead.

Zolt gasped, as the lightning weakened, as if being pulled back into him, followed by a blast of fire, which quickly dissipated into air.

Amon let Zolt fall, before folding his arms on his back. Zolt groaned, and turned around, attempting to send a blast of fire at Amon.

Nothing happened, and Zolt collapsed again.

'What- What'd you do to me?" Zolt whispered, his voice broken.

"Your firebending is gone. Forever."

Amon turned to face the audience, his voice triumphant.

"The era of bending is over. A new era of equality has begun."

The crowd erupted in applause, and Khione felt a roaring in her ears.

"Any ideas yet?" Korra whispered urgently, eyes trained on the stage.