the earth queen

KHIONE

Khione felt like she was floating through clouds the entire trip to the vault. She felt happier, the memory of their kiss, framed by the cherry blossoms flitting through her mind. For the first time in weeks, the anxiety in her chest had eased. Korra had kissed her. She liked her.

She wanted to laugh.

It was easy. It had been so easy. What had she been afraid of this entire time?

It was nothing and everything like everyone described it. The cynical part of her made her made her wary, a little afraid. After all, this felt too good to be true. Maybe it was self-sabotage, but after being so lonely for so long, it made sense, even if it made her feel slightly guilty. 

And yet, when Korra had kissed her, it was like nothing she'd ever felt. It was a whirlwind of butterflies in the pit of her stomach, the warm tingling of her skin, the way the entire world seemed to brighten when Korra flashed that sun-bright smile. 

Asami seemed to notice her happiness, glancing at Khione.

"You look happy today," She said, nudging Khione's wrist affectionately as they walked down the ramp.

"Do I?" Khione responded neutrally, before shrugging. Her gaze fell on Korra, who was scanning the area around them, frowning.

Khione had opted to wear her brace today, instead of using her cane, and slung at her waists were embroidered pouches filled to the brim with water.

"I don't like the look of this. Let's hurry up and get out of here," Korra said as all the windows and doors from the nearby houses slammed shut. The place looked nearly abandoned, devoid of anything living.

They waited as one of the guards pulled open the door to the vault.

"You here to pick up the tax shipment?" the guard asked gruffly.

"Go ahead and load it on the airship," Korra responded, watching as the guards began carrying out green bags of gold onto a small cart.

Just as they began wheeling the gold towards the airship, a red flare launched into the air, hissing as it flew across the sky. The three girls turned as the revving of motorcycles blasted through the area. Motorcyclists, laughing and howling, sped into the square, waving crudely made weapons.

The guards yelped, ditching their formation and making a run with it. Khione watched apathetically as they fled, stumbling over themselves. She rolled her eyes. 

Cowards.

"So much for our escorts," Asami scoffed, pulling on her electric glove and flexing her hand.

"Maybe we should've brought everyone else," Korra sighed as more of the outlaws flooded the area.

Khione shook out her cuffs. "We don't need everybody else. I've been itching for a good fight," She said flatly.

They stood by the gold as the outlaws surrounded them, revving their engines and jeering. Khione's face remained impassive as one of the men stepped in front of them, his face painted into a skull, and his hair dyed a violent shade of green.

"Step away from the gold ladies, and you won't get hurt."

"I'm terrified," Khione said flatly.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but we're taking this gold back to Ba Sing Se," Korra said.

"Aw, we love gals with spirit," He walked towards them. Khione stayed still, tilting her head. "Suit yourself." 

He launched himself at Korra, attempting to kick her, but she dodged easily, raising pillars of stone to knock a few outlaws and their motorcycles into the sky.