a breath of fresh air

KORRA

Korra wished for one moment that things would be peaceful, but it seemed that ever since she'd arrived in Republic City, things had gone wrong for her. She'd spent the morning at a stupid press conference, and her patience had nearly been fried by the President. Spirits, she didn't know why she had to put up with him.

She poked her head into the dining room, where Tenzin and his family, along with Bolin and Khione sat. Her eyes lingered on Khione, whose eyes were glinting with amusement. By the way Khione acted at their reunion in the spirit world, Korra was worried that she'd done something wrong, but in the days after, Khione had seemed fine. They were fine.

"Hey," She greeted them all, sitting down beside Khione, who shuffled aside to make some room, holding her bowl of rice and chopsticks elegantly. Korra glanced at Bumi, who was pouting.

"What's up with him?" Korra asked.

"He's an airbender now," Khione said flatly. She fixed her bangs absentmindedly.

Khione gave her a weird look.

""Bumi said he airbended earlier but he can't now. Oh! And I guess he's not really good at knitting either. I gotta say, I love being a part of this family. You got the grumpy dad, the wacky uncle, the put-upon mum, the crazy kids. Oh, this is great!"

Bolin clacked his chopsticks together, grinning.

"Where's Mako?" Asami asked from where she stood behind them.

"Oh, you mean the brooding teenager," Bolin straightened. "He's stayed at the Police Station.

"Still?" Korra asked.

"I told him Tenzin invited us to stay here since our apartment is a vine habitat now, but said he had to 'focus on work'," Bolin finished, running a hand through his hair in an imitation of Mako.

"Oh, did you see that? I think the napkin moved," Bumi exclaimed, looking shocked at himself.

"You blew on it!" Kya retorted, exchanging unimpressed glances with Khione.

"Wait! Maybe I can only do it when my life is in danger. Bolin, bend a giant boulder at me!" Bumi turned to him, his arms bent out in exaggeration.

"Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea," Bolin replied, looking concerned.

Khione sighed beside her, using her chopsticks to spoon rice and soy tofu into her mouth.

"If you're going to be bending giant boulders, you can do it outside," Pema said sternly, as Tenzin cradled his head in his hands.

"No one is bending giant boulders." Tenzin slammed his fists onto the table.

"Look alive, Uncle Bumi!" Meelo yelled, before flinging a plate at him.

Korra winced, expecting it to shatter in his face.

He stretched out his hands, enveloping the plate in a bowl of air, spinning at arms reach.

Korra's mouth dropped open, and beside her, Khione's chopsticks fell out of her hand.

"I told you!" He crowed in excitement. "Wait till I tell mom. She's gonna love this."
As he spoke, the plate fell on the table, shattering on impact.

...

KHIONE

Khione sat on the stairs next to Bolin, fingers drumming absentmindedly on her brace. They had all gathered in the courtyard, and they were watching Bumi attempt to airbend again. He thrust out his palms again, groaning when nothing happened.