Chapter 8: The Golden House

"Wow... This is the Golden House," Paimon said in awe. "It looked impressive enough from the outside... but who would've guessed that it was even fancier on the inside... and so full of Mora!!!"

"This is where all of the Teyvat's Mora is minted, right? In that case, maybe they won't notice if a few Mora go missing," Paimon grins. I had the same thing in mind, I am pretty much flat broke. Maybe during the fight I can pinch some...?

"I don't think we should touch it, its probably a trap," Aether shrugs. I let out a big sigh, Aether looks at me.

"What... I want some Mora too..." I say crossing my arms and holding my head high. He lets out a small laugh but it dies quickly.

"Have you noticed it too? Something feels amiss.." Aether says quietly. I nod slowly. I mean, I already know what is wrong...

"We should get back to business," Paimon interrupts. That was surprising coming from her. "Its weird that no one would be guarding something so important as the Exuvia," She continues.

I look around. "The guards!" I say pointing at them. This grabs both Aethers and Paimons attention.

"Quick! We have to go make sure that the Exuvia is alright," Paimon says as she flies over. Aether and I follow closely behind her.

We stand at the foot of the presumed to be dead Archon. Its about to start.

"You've already fulfilled your task as guides, so why do you still linger here? Haven't you already seen enough trouble for today?" his voice echoes through the room. Childe...

"Huh? Who's there?" Paimon says as she hides behind Aether. I grab my bow and hold it tight in my hand.

"If you were Fatui, I imagine that you would be entitled to a generous reward from the Tsaritsa herself," Childe says as he slowly climbs up the stairs, "But now, you're nothing but dross – and you're in my way."

"Looks like I was just in time, then," Aether says. He looks at me for a second. He must know where this is going.

"Hah! Although I'm deeply grateful to you that I was able to effortlessly find this secret location. Don't you think that trying to stop me now would just be wasted effort?"

I snicker at his last line. He glares at me, "and what pray tell do you think you can do?"

Paimon interrupts before I get a word in, "So you've been planning to take the Gnosis from inside the Exuvia all along!?"

"As one of the Eleven Fatui Harbingers, it's my duty to see the will of the Tsaritsa fulfilled. She will get that which she desires."

"Not if I have anything to say about it." Aether says calmly.

"I think you mean, 'if we have anything to say about it." I smile at Aether and pull out an arrow.

"Hah! I'm not asking for your blessing, and there's nothing you can do to stop me anyway." Childe says proud. I interrupt before he can continue with his rant.

"Can we just skip all the small talk and get to the fighting," I say bluntly. Childe snickers at me, "Oh? So you intend to fight me? Good. I won't kill you. Traveller. I'll just play along – to feel the thrill of battle!"

I feel completely ignored. How rude.

"Besides, you could never defeat me. Not even in your wildest dreams. But hey, try to relish the fight anyway, Because if you ask me... without that, what else is there?"

I laugh so hard I nearly fall to the floor. Clearly I am only adding fuel to the fire.

"I could never defeat you!? You're completely delusional." Aether giggles.