60.

▶ When You're Gone ~ Avril Lavigne

Jungkook started his exams the next day.

"Good luck my star, you'll do great!" Taehyung reassured him after breakfast together.

Jungkook's eyes were puffy and he had a pallor but managed a small smile when Taehyung hugged him and kissed the top of his head.

"I hope so, Hyung."

"Hyung? Since when?" Tae asked amused, pinching Jungkook's nose softly.

"I... felt like it," Jungkook smiled.

"I'm gonna drop you to uni, come on," Tae said, patting the soft raven hair.

"It's fine, Tae, I can go by myself."

"Nope, I have to go near there so it's on my way today. It'll be warmer than your bike, come on Koo."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes love."

Jungkook put away their dishes and dried his hands before picking up his bag. He sighed deeply, gathering himself.

"Kook, you okay?"

It was like the sentence broke his resolve.
Sudden tears ran down his cheeks and he shook his head. Tae ran to him in the middle of putting his shoes on and hugged him tight. Jungkook buried his face in his neck. His heart squeezed against his lungs, making it harder to breathe.

"Koo... It's alright.. shh baby, you're going to stress yourself out more."

"It hurts," he whimpered. "It hurts so much."

"I know baby bun. I know. But Yoongi would hate it if you went to your exams in a bad mood because of him. You've stayed up all night already Koo, please don't do this to yourself."

Taehyung swayed slightly, running his hands down his back, until his breathing calmed. Eventually, Jungkook pulled himself together and they headed out.

The days that followed, Jungkook drowned his emotions in work. He studied like a robot.

Taehyung was tense about his state. Jungkook barely slept, only ate if Tae was around and during the days off in between each exam, he was at Jimin's or the clinic. Minho's recent patient was dealing with grief too. Jungkook attended the sessions attentively, taking notes of the questions Dr. Minho asked.

After the clinic, he would come back to the apartment, eat a hurried dinner if Tae was home and leave again for Jimin's place.

Jungkook's behaviour bothered Taehyung a lot.

Instead of taking care of himself and resting or talking about his feelings, Jungkook was with Jimin every second he could find. Tae wasn't jealous of course not, he understood that Jungkook wanted to be there for his friend. But at the expense of his own health - that was unacceptable. He wished he could knock some sense into him but didn't know how.

All he could do was be there.

It will be Christmas Eve tomorrow. Jungkook finished his exams today. He returned from the clinic, freshened and went to Jimin's again.

Taehyung was a little excited. He bought a tree, thinking he would surprise Jungkook and take his mind off of things.
The movers kept it in his apartment, near the giant sliding door of the balcony. He got some pretty fairy lights and decor hung in the balcony too.