3:

"You want me to get married?!" I asked, I sounded like I was shouting. "Romessa, lower your voice first and sit down." I didn't notice I was standing until Baba had pointed it out, "yes I want to get you married, at least your Nikkah done in the next 2 weeks, or before we leave Pakistan." Baba continued to announce as I sat down. "But I don't want to, I'm not ready to get married yet," I paused, "and who is this you want me to get married to anyway?" This is time phupo answered me, "Romessa, lower your voice. Is this what your mother taught you, anyways you will be getting married.... to Danish." She chirped.

I looked straight at Baba now, "No, baba, I'm not ready yet, I still have to do so much, I have to finish med school and my video projects." I had streams coming out now. This can't be happening. It just can't. "No one will stop you from your study, and you can continue your projects too," Baba said. "But baba still, I don- don't want to marry him. I don't want to marry anyone right now", I might look like a mad woman right now but I am not going to marry that man, sitting there and smirking at me like a vicious animal, I rather move from the planet then do that. "Romessa, you will marry him."

Baba still argues back. I don't know what to do, I feel like I'm going to faint. "You can't force me, I have a right, I don't want to ruin my life. I've already had a terrible childhood eve- even up until now, my life's been terrible.." *sniff.. sniff.. now I'm crying,"...and I rather live alone but happy than live with a person like him and never be happy." Baba had a enough, "he's my nephew, he'll keep you happy. I trust him." Baba doesn't know where I got my attitude from, I would rather argue back right now, "I will not be marrying him, I rather jump of a cliff, and about keeping me happy.. you never kept Mama happy. How can your nephew take care of me. I want nothing to do with him.. NOTHING"

*SLAP*

He's done it. Once again, he's done it. My right cheek is burning now. It doesn't hurt, I'm used to this, and I surprise myself, I'm not crying but actually smiling. "Baba, I'm not going to go back on my words, I'm still not marrying him," and saying that I leave the room. I felt the smiles of my phupo and chacho, who couldn't hold back. Of course, they'd he happy if I was just slapped.. it's what they have always done, making me in trouble my whole life, making me receive punishments for things I never did, ruining my life for no reason, and even now I can't stand up for myself, without still receiving punishments. But I had made my mind, and I wasn't going to change my mind, I was never going to marry him.

One hour, two hours, and five hours go by now.. I was in my room. Haadir, Ameerah, and Ayesha, they were worried about watching me cry. They tried asking me what happened and trying to console me, but I only ended up crying or praying the whole time. Right now, I wish I could do something, I don't even have Mama to talk to right now since she's in Ami's house.. what is going to happen. I had just finished praying Isha, still sitting on the prayer mat when Zoha baji, Danish's younger sister, who's older than me by 3 years, had just came in with a tray, probably with food.

"Romessa, I brought you food, come eat you haven't eaten anything, you could get sick." "Zoha baji, please I'm not eating", "Romessa what's wrong, we were like sisters, plus now we'll be closer after you get married with Danish, and it'll be great, no?" I can't take this right now, "no baji, it won't, I want nothing to do with your brother. I'm happy to stay just your cousin and nothing else! So please, leave me how I am now." "But Romessa, think about it, Danish is a great person for you. Yes, he probably did have a thing going for a few girls, but otherwise, he'll be great for you. You'll realize after you marry him."

I can't believe what she is saying right now. "I'm sorry baji I just can't, and it's not only that, he's disrespectful and ill mannered, he's also hot tampered, I've spent my whole life seeing a woman deal with a man with exactly that personality, and she still cries to this day. I'm not doing the same thing. And the thing about after marriage. No thanks, i don't want to chain myself." "I still think you need time, Romessa. I still hope you consider him." "Baji, you know my answer, you can tell phupo that too. And please, you can take the food away too." I knew she would eventually come up to me, I had heard them talking outside my room before Zoha Baji came in. They thought she would be able to convince me. I was sure this was all phupo's idea, getting me married to her son.

I still can't believe that zoha baji expects me to consider her brother.. he gives her and their mother such a hard time, I'm not planning to suffer my whole life. That conversation made me lose any appetite I had. I decided to pray and made dua. It was late now, and everyone had fallen asleep. Living here for 3 days, and I know everyone falls asleep by 10. It's currently 2, and I can't fall asleep from both being jet lagged and overthinking. I decided to get myself a glass of water.

The kitchen was a corner away from my bedroom. I liked how it was quiet, I could calm my brain a bit, and it's been overthinking for too long. Just as I started to become calm.. he walked in
"I thought you would take the news in better, but I guess not", "what do you want Danish bhai" I was emphasizing on the word 'bhai', I don't think he liked it, because as soon as I said it his sly smile dropped. "Don't worry, Romessa, I won't be bhai soon. Oh, and I can't wait for you to be wife."

He knew what he was doing, "I will be anything but never your wife, never." Danish bhai had come closer now, trapping me between him and the chair, our distance had shortened, making me sick and disgusted inside and out. "My dear you don't know what's going to happen, and anyways, I'll be there where you are, did you hear your baba dear is going to bring me with you guys when you go back" he's laughing now and holding my arm in a painful grip that I felt my upper arm buring.

"I got a two in one, to be honest, a hot wife and a ticket abroad. What more do I need?" With that, he left my arm and walked out of the kitchen. I'm crying, I didn't notice it until I felt my hand damp from my face, but I'm crying so much now that I feel my eyes buring. That night has to be the longest, most painful night ever. Everything that's happening to me, can I never get a break? All I wanted was a normal life... I didn't sign up for thisss!!

The next day, I refused to eat anything they gave me, I stayed in my room all day, but I was grateful for my siblings, Haadir had gotten me food and my favorite snacks when he went out to pray. He tried talking to Baba to not go ahead with their marriage, but instead, Baba also lashed out on him.

That night, I felt stuffy staying in the room. After making sure Ayesha, Haadir, and Ameerah had fallen asleep, I had walked up to the balcony when I looked down, hearing someone talking. I looked down to see Danish bhai talking to someone on the phone. I was about to leave when something he said caught my attention. "Don't worry baby, once I get there, get all her and her father's money. I'll leave her. No, I don't like her, even ami doesn't like her. It was her idea to get her money, since mamoo loves me a lot. Yes, we'll get married."

I couldn't believe what I heard, but then again, I expected this. He was using me, and I already knew it
His ami was behind it. I also saw that coming. I couldn't believe this was the same nephew Baba is going his daughter to, the same nephew who wants to take his money. I headed inside. I was never going to let that happen.

- A days later -
It's been two days since all that had happened, and a day since I heard Danish bhai from the balcony. No one really hasn't come in to convince me or talk to me. Nimra chachi, Karem chacho's wife, had given me dinner during these days, but I would always refuse. Thankfully, she hasn't said anything. I mean, she couldn't say anything. We weren't close, so we didn't expect her to say anything. Haadhir had managed to find a charger a few hours ago, and I put my phone on charging as soon as I got my hands on it, but because of the heat it was going to take a while. I need to talk to Mama or khala, whoever would pick up, I need to do something about this.

In the afternoon, I was about to doze off when Nimra chachi walked in, "Romessa beta, everyone is calling you to the sitting room, you should go." I know she was right, I needed to go, and I knew the reason to why they wanted to see me, but sitting in my room and crying wasn't going to help, I have to do something and I will, I'm not going to go down without a fight. After all, someone has to show them they can't get everything they want.