prologue.

Starting at the best wizarding school in the world was a big deal.

However starting at the best wizarding school in the world your sixth year was an even bigger deal. Hogwarts didn't often make a habit of accepting students who didn't enter in their first year but somehow they had made an exception for Jovie.

So now she stood on the platform with her satchel in her robes watching as other students rushed by to meet with their friends.

The train whistle blew, the last of the students on the platform beginning to climb aboard the train. Jovie followed suit, climbing into the train. She made her way down the hall, searching for an empty cabin or maybe one with someone she could befriend.

Suddenly the train lurched into movement and as luck would have it the blonde was thrown into the wall. Which just happened to be an open doorway.

"Blimey you made me lose my chocolate frog!" She heard a voice complain.

Before the girl could sit up and see who it was she felt her bag fall open, something jumping on her back and pushing her back to the ground. This situation couldn't get much worse.

"What is that!?" a boy shrieked.

Jovie frowned, lifting her head to see two boy's perched on the seats in front of her. One had curly brown hair and he looked absolutely petrified. The boy next to him was taller, he had a book on his lap and was struggling to hold back his laughs

"You better get your weird pet goldy locks!" a voice yelled.

The blonde turned over her shoulder, finding two more boys seated behind her. One had shoulder length black hair and was keeled over, struggling to breathe as he laughed. The other was a messy haired brunette who looked freaked, though not as badly as his other friend.

Shaking off the thoughts of who the boys could be, Jovie situated herself so she was sitting on her bottom, her bag in her lap. She pulled her wand out from where it was tucked in her robes, shoving it into her bag. "Accio coin pouch," she whispered.

The purple pouch sprang from her bag, the girl swiftly catching it and prying it open. She dumped some golden coins into her hand. The black haired boy raised a brow, a smirk stretching itself across his face, "are those to pay us for our troubles?"

Jovie looked up at him with a grin, "sure but hold on."

This caused the boy to fall silent, his eyes going slightly wide before he quickly averted them, staring at the window.

Jovie didn't seem to notice this as she scanned the small cabin for the creature who had managed to escape her bag and cause all this ruckus. After a moment she spotted him under one of the boys' seats.

The girl's grin widened as she shook the coins, "here Blue."

The creature smiled, slowly crawling out from his hiding place and curling up on his owner's lap as he began to play with the coins. Jovie smiled, breathing out a sigh of relief as she looked back up to the boys.

"How much do I owe you?" she furrowed her brows, her dimples digging even deeper as she grinned. The black haired boy rolled his eyes, slumping in his seat in a pout.

The curly haired boy cleared his throat, "So w-what is that?"

Jovie finally stood, helping her pet slip safely back into her bag. "That was my niffler, his name's Blue," she smiled. The girl's face was flushed slightly from the excitement and able to observe her fully the boys shared two collective thoughts.

She was really cute.

And they'd never seen her before.

The blonde held out her hand to the nearest boy, which happened to be the one with the book in his lap. "I'm Jovina Scamander, call me Jovie. And sorry about all of this."

The boy shook her hand, "Scamander? That explains the Niffler. I'm Remus Lupin." He smiled, "magical creatures are really fascinating. I'm sure you have lots at home considering who your father is."

Jovie nodded, her mind flashing back to the thunderbird that was in her kitchen this morning. "Yes that's true," she laughed. She was happy to have found common ground with at least one person in the cabin.

Remus gestured to the boy next to him, "this is Peter Pettigrew, excuse him for the shrieking earlier." Jovie smiled at the shorter boy, the boy blushing as he smiled back, elbowing his taller friend in the side.

Remus continued, "and those two-"

In a split moment the two he was referring to were standing on either side of the blonde, one smirking as the other grinned. The brunette hooked his arm over the girl's shoulder, "James Potter, quidditch and pranker extraordinaire. Pleasure."

Before she could say something the other boy grabbed her chin, tilting her head up to face him. "I'm Sirius Black, gorgeous, at your service," he grinned.

Jovie flushed slightly as she tilted her head, a smile painting on her lips, "thank you! You're really pretty as well."

James burst into laughter as Sirius turned pink. He shoved a finger at James, "that's a compliment! She didn't call you pretty!" he argued to his friend. The two began to sort of wrestle, Peter cheering them on as Remus stood with a sigh.

He ushered Jovie into the hall, the two standing chest to chest in the small space. "I'm sorry about those two," he apologized for his friends.

Jovie shrugged it off, she thought the group was interesting and funny. Potential friends for sure. "It's no problem, though I should probably go. I still haven't found a seat."

Remus smiled in understanding, "see you around?"

The blonde grinned, "looking forward to it."