twenty nine.

"Okay so how're we gonna get back Sirius?"

   Jovie pulled her legs under her, glancing around the common room at her friends, the boys exchanging unsure looks.

   Remus frowned, "I don't know if I'm ready, he... I just-"

   James nodded, "we need more time."

   Jovie frowned, nodding slowly, "okay...are you guys mad at him? He only did it because of me so you know you should be mad-"

   "No one's going to be mad at you Jo, it wasn't Sirius' place to tell anyone," James argued.

   Jovie could feel herself get worked up, she didn't know why she was defending Sirius so hard. Remus had every right to be upset, it was only fair.

   Then it hit her like a spell.

   Merlin's beard.

   Peter shifted closer to the girl, "Jo? Are you okay?"

   No wonder she missed him so much. These past two weeks had been unbearable even after she had made up with Remus.

   Jovie frowned, "I think I need to lie down."

* * *

  Lily frowned as she watched Jovie, the blonde passed out on her bed in her uniform, Blue curled up beside her. She looked so peaceful when she slept, so serene.

   Lily just couldn't forgive herself.

   "What happened?!"

   The redhead leaned into the wall, tears building in her eyes as she watched Pomfrey race from bed to bed, shooting healing spells every which way.

   She didn't understand, everything had been fine and now they were here. She couldn't pull her eyes from her friends. James had on Jovie's jacket and it was stained in blood. His brows furrowed as he struggled to breath.

   Jovie was on the bed beside him, her normal smiling face covered by a mass of blood. She wouldn't stop shaking, her mouth constantly moving as thought she was whispering.

   She knew.

   This was all her fault.

    "Lily?" Jovie slowly sat up, rubbing her eyes as she watched her friend look up in shock, seemingly being snapped from her thoughts. "What's wrong?"

   The redhead averted her eyes, blinking back her tears, "I'm fine, was just gonna wake you up for dinner. We should probably go." She stood, brushing off her skirt.

   Before she could make it far Jovie grabbed her hand, pulling her back. The blonde smiled softly, "are you okay? You seem on edge."

   Lily looked at Jovie's smile and it broke her.

   She fell to the bed, tears spilling from her eyes as she sobbed. "It's all my fault! You got hurt! A-And James! And Rem and- and...why couldn't it have been me?!"

   Jovie wrapped her arms around her friend, "it's okay it's okay."

   Listening to her friend's cries Jovie couldn't help but feel guilty. She should have never gotten into a duel with Snape. She should've never followed him out to that cursed tree.

   She should have never shut down.

   Why couldn't she be strong and pretend she was okay.

   If not for her then at least for her friends.

   For Sirius.

* * *

   Jovie sat silently against the tile floor, her legs pulled into her chest as she waited impatiently. She heard the shower water shut off, a minute later Sirius walked from the bathroom.

   He had on boxers, a towel draped over his wet hair and a tired expression on his face.

  Jovie winced at the scars going up and down his torso, most of which were because he was protecting her.

   She quickly stood, Sirius immediately taking notice of her.

   The two stood together in the hallway in silence, Sirius taking a step forward after a moment, causing Jovie to stumble backwards. They repeated this two more times until Jovie's back was flat against the wall, the girl breathing in the scent of Sirius' shampoo.

   "Jovina..."

   The blonde sucked in a breath, "don't apologize. It wasn't your fault."

   Sirius seemed to disagree with this and pursed his lips. He inched a tiny step forward, Jovie's face bursting into color as she set her hand on his chest to prevent him from advancing anymore.

   "I... I think I might be in love with you."

   The two looked at each other in shock. Jovie quickly clapping a hand over her mouth as Sirius stumbed backwards into the door behind him.

   They stood there like that for what felt like a suffocatingly long time.

   "I think I love you too?"

   "Why was it a question?" Jovie felt a smile tug her lips.

   SIrius broke into his signature goofball grin, "it wasn't."

   They smiled at each other, Sirius taking another series of steps forward to wrap his arms around the blonde. Jovie melted at his touch.

   She was beyond glad to have their period of not talking come to an end.

   Maybe everything could go back to normal now.