twenty four.

"That was weird," Jovie mumbled to herself as she made her way through the hall, fiddling with the hem of her skirt.

   After Barty had explained to Hagrid what happened he left to go retrieve the other group, sending them off back to their rooms.

   Jovie stopped as she looked up, a crowd of students flooding the hall. She slowly pushed her way to the front in curiosity, finding Snape, James, and Lily. They seemed to be in a heated argument, pink paint splattered over the floor.

   James sneered, "you're lucky Lily was here Snivellus, she saved your ass."

   Snape glared hard at Lily, his lips curled into a frown, "I don't need anything from that filthy mudblood!"

   Gasps echoed through the crowd as Lily's eyes widened, the girl stumbling back into Jovie. The blonde felt something swell inside of her, something akin to rage.

   She left Lily's side, stepping up to Snape, "what is wrong with you?! That's supposed to be your best friend!"

   Lily's cries behind her only boosted the girl's anger, "apologize, now."

   Seeing the blonde sunshine girl so upset was strange, she didn't look that terrifying in all honesty, but the way her brows were furrowed and the smile in her eyes had vanished.

   That was scary.

   James reached for her, "Jovie..."

   Jovie shook him off, reaching for her wand, "I'm serious Severus, apologize right now."

   Snape's eyes flitted around the crowd, the boy gritting his teeth as he flushed with embarrassment. He gripped his wand, "you... you dare to order me around?"

   Jovie stayed firm, "Snape," she snapped.

   Snape seemed to lose it, he quickly drew his wand, shooting a spell, "confringo!"

   The crowd began to grow panicked, some begging for Jovie to stop as the blonde simply sidestepped the spell, narrowing her eyes.

   She tried to keep her emotions at bay but she let a tear slip, "Lily cares about you so much, you don't deserve her-"

   "Shut up!" Snape seethed, "sectumsempra!"

   Jovie felt her mouth go dry.

   Everything happened so fast, Jovie falling to the floor and Lily catching her, James screaming at Snape as students began to whisper.

   Lily sobbed, squeezing the blonde's hand, "Jovie, please, please answer me!" Blood soaked through her shirt, the girl's eyes darting around. She couldn't breathe, she couldn't move.

   Emmeline pushed her way through the crowd, "what happened?!"

   One of the hufflepuff students called out, "someone get madam Pomfrey! Hurry!"

   James shook Snape, "what'd you do?! Help her! Tell me how to undo it!" He was desperate, panic lacing his voice as he shook Snape harder, "Please! Snape please!"

   Frank emerged from the crowd, his wand drawn, "Jovie! Stay awake, hold on!" he knelt, beginning to mumble spells under his breath.

   Lily felt Jovie's hand stiffen, "no, no, no, you can't. Jovie!"

* * *

   Sirius kicked open the common room door, grinning as he shoved his hands into his pocket, "who missed me?"

   The boy had gone home for the weekend after his conversation with Regulus. He tried to reason with his parents but to no avail he gave up and came back.

   He looked around, the common room quiet. Gryffindors were never quiet, something was always happening.

   It seemed as if a cloud hung over their tower.

   He spotted Remus on the couch, several books splayed in front of him however he seemed more occupied staring at the wall. Sirius kept up his grin, setting a hand on his friend's shoulder.

   Remus jumped, looking up at the black haired boy, he let out a sigh, "you're back."

   Sirius scanned his eyes over his friend, he had bags under his eyes and looked like he hadn't seen the sun in days. Swiftly hopping over the couch and taking a seat, Sirius frowned, "what's wrong? Full moons not for another week."

   Remus nodded, twiddling his thumbs. Sirius scanned his eyes around the room, "why is everyone so gloomy, and where is everyone?"

   The tawny haired boy frowned, "Sirius...something happened while you were gone."

   Sirius paled, his heart dropping, "what happened?! I was only gone three days! Is everyone okay?"

   Remus bit into his lip, releasing it a moment later, he repeated this process six more times before finally opening his mouth to speak.

   "James and Lily...they got into a sort of spat with Snivellus."

   Sirius nodded, "that happens all the time."

   "But... It was worse this time. Snape called Lily...well, he called her a Mudblood."

   Sirius grit his teeth, "what?" He felt anger bubble inside of him, his jaw clenching, "what the hell?! After all the years she put up with him!"

   Remus nodded, "yeah, that's exactly how Jovie reacted."

   Sirius felt himself still at the mention of her name, Remus continuing, "she was upset, really upset. James said she was so mad she was crying, she yelled at him and...well Snape didn't take kindly to that."

   "No..." Sirius stood, "what'd he do? I swear to god I'll kill him."

   Remus nodded, standing as well, "let's go to the infirmary."

   But Sirius was already gone.