7- Tears of Blade (1)

DAGON

I remain unmoving on the bed with nothing but the sheets to cover my lower half. Staring up at the ceiling, I frown at the coloured patterns. I miss my plane white ceiling. Who even colours their ceiling? And this bed isn't nearly as comfortable as mine. I sigh when the clock chimes for eight o'clock. I promised to see Kaida at breakfast and I still need to meet up with Daphne. I imagine Caspian isn't sitting on his hands, I'm sure he has a plan to steal her back. I simply want to rile him up today. Although we each have our territories, the forest is a public space, and leaving traces of Daphne and my scent in the forest is enough to make him lose his mind. Something I derive pleasure in doing. Werewolves are extremely possessive especially when it involves their mate and Daphne is supposed to fill the role. What makes it all the more fun is he needs Daphne to continue his family line and the fact that I have her and could have possibly bedded her would ruin their family tradition. Apart from all that, there's this stupid ball this evening and I need to oversee security.

"What are you thinking of?" Marilla mumbles sleepily.

"My day" I sigh.

"If it's that annoying you don't have to think about it. You don't have to go anywhere even... just stay here and we could stay in bed all day"

Hmm...I was wondering when she would say this. Surprisingly, she didn't make this offer last night when she returned from her trip.

"I need to work and there's a ball this evening, I need to oversee security"

She groans.

"Okay fine, then just stay with me till the afternoon and if you don't like my coloured ceilings we could go to your room"

Not my room again.

"You know how I feel about my room" I hate people in my space. They just don't leave anything alone, they end up touching things and sitting on your bed and messing up your walk-in closet, and getting their dusty feet on your polished floors. My room is sacred, I don't take women there ever.

"But you let the human child in your room all the damn time" she mutters, unamused.

"Kaida is her name and she's seven. How am I supposed to explain it to her?"

Besides, it's cute when she runs around in my room and jumps on my bed. The best is when I wake up to find her crawled up near me. She loves sneaking into my room and falling asleep there.

"Alright."

"I left a dress for you to wear to the ball, I think blue compliments your skin" I mutter. Speaking of dresses, I also sent a dress for Daphne. It felt appropriate. I pull a few loose strands of hair behind her ear before pecking her lips. Marilla deepens the kiss but I break it and narrow my eyes at her.

"Nice try" I say. She would use any means to lure me to stay with her. Especially seduction.

"It was worth a try" she teases. Sometimes I wonder if she wants more. I hope her little comments about going to my room and making things official are only jokes. Marilla was my friend before any of this. I carefully explained to her how I didn't want to complicate things with sex but she assured me she felt the same way. Relationships aren't my thing, when it came to wetting my wick, I could easily find girls for that but Marilla wanted us to strike a deal. We sleep together, and remain friends with no promises of a relationship. I offer her my protection though, I won't ever let anyone hurt her.

CASPIAN

"Listen, my men and I caught another scent in the forest...the human girl's scent is mixed with Dagon's"

I shut my eyes and breathe in deeply. It can't be over.

"I think it's pointless now. Who knows what he has done to her? He could've tortured, raped, or even killed her!" Reeve states. He is my friend and guard, I trust his judgement but I simply refuse to believe there's no hope.

"No...I know Dagon...he teases, mocks, and plays with his prey before he kills them. He hasn't done anything to her...at least not yet. They have a ball tonight, right?"

"Yes"

"We'll strike then...we need at least fifty wolves"

"I'll make the arrangements immediately" Reeve mutters.

"When it's time, lure the girl into the woods. Leave Dagon to me."

I will make him pay.

DAPHNE

I tilt my chin upwards and turn to the side to better look at the dress. Sahar said Erix dropped it for me to wear to the ball they're having. I'll thank him later at the ball. I run my hands over the fabric gently, letting a soft smile settle on my lips. It's an off-the-shoulder lace black glitter ball gown.

 It's an off-the-shoulder lace black glitter ball gown

It's beautiful. It reminds me of the dress my mom bought me for prom...prom I couldn't attend because my parents died. I didn't exactly want to go though, I remember my mum giving me the dress because she felt guilty for grounding me. I sigh, I'll find out what happened to them even if it costs me everything.

I release a breath. I stare at the mirror again and crack a smile. It doesn't reach my eyes, I sigh loudly.

"Okay Daphne, you can't dwell on sad memories." I whisper. A tear escapes my left eye and I immediately wipe it off.

"I'm okay. I'm okay" I smile. A false one. I need to wait a while before going downstairs, I don't want the whole world to notice my solemn expression. I need to cheer up. I can do this. Yes, I got this. I slip on my heels and leave the room.

"You look beautiful" Sahar mentions.

"Thank you" I tried to do my best. I wasn't a fan of makeup but I let Sahar fix me up earlier and my hair...I let them fall in loose waves down my back.

In all honesty, I'm a bit jittery. I have never attended a ball and the fact that I'll be the only human there is even more nerve-wracking. As soon as I descend the stairs leading to the ballroom, it feels as if everyone in the room stops to stare at me...or maybe I'm hallucinating. It must be my nerves playing tricks on me. I stop moving and remain on the steps.

"Are they staring at me?" I whisper to Sahar.

"I'm afraid so...you are human and beautiful"

So they want my blood? Just great. 'Must I be here?' I want to ask Sahar but I don't. I may be human but I don't have to show them I'm weak.

I gracefully continue my walk down the stairs...and in the eyes of the onlookers, I was exceptionally confident. Only I know the truth.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Please don't forget to vote, share, comment, and follow me here on Wattpad.

Thank you, Rese.